CES 2018 in brief
My quick impressions for the week
- 5G networks: vendors pushing it but operators not biting, yet
- Wireless charging: accessories boom
- Voice enabled everything via Alexa or Google Assistant; Google heavily investing in market share at this time
- Consumer grade robotics: working better faster cheaper, but still not past gimmicky
- VR: seems to be fading — new cheaper standalone handsets but not enough compelling content
- AR: was remarkable in underperforming expectations
- Cars: more gadgetry in traditional cars and only marginal improvements in self driving cars
- Chip vendors: a lot of noise, but recent security hacks cast a shadow over new announcements
- Phones: Nothing new to see here.. Huawei Mate 10 had a deflated US entry because AT&T pulled out at the last minute
- Weather: Main highlight was flood creating rain early in the week which also created a power outage in the Las Vegas Convention Center…during the highest foot traffic period of the show
- Other things Vegas: Uber/Lyft at unsustainably low prices, there is a supply management issue in the on-demand marketplace here. Casinos generally running way below capacity. Unusually short lines everywhere.
Welcome your insights!!