I Touched the Sydney Opera House

The six of us traveling with all of our stuff is a funny sight to see!

Hey everyone! After a crazy week in Sydney, I thought I would finally update you all!

I headed out for the aiport Sunday afternoon, and made it with plenty of time to make my flight. After a bitersweet moment of saying goodbye to my parents at the entrance, I took off on my own through security. Thankfully security was no big deal, and before I knew it I was at my gate. Except there was one problem; I had no clue who I was meeting. Thankfully for technology I had a good idea of what these people looked like, but I wasn’t completely sure. After about 5 minutes of me standing there staring cluelessly into the crowd of people, one of the girls came up to me asking if I was Kami. From there everything was a breeze! Although our flight was delayed 30 minutes, we still boarded and took off for our 15 hour flight that was ahead of us!

We finally landed on Tuesday, July 11, at 6:35am Australia time, which was about 1:30pm on Monday for you guys. Then came my next bump in the road. I was with a couple of my friends up until my passport picture for customs didn’t work. I had to go back and wait in line and do the whole process over, and by the time I got through, my friends were nowhere in sight. Yet again, I was in the airport alone, but this time there were so many different people walking in all different directions and tons of different lines to get in, I had no clue where to go. After wandering aimlessly around the airport, I finally asked someone where I needed to go, and after finding my way, I spotted my group and was able to join them.

View of the city

We finally made it out of the aiport and out onto the streets of Sydney, Australia!! After some walking, a train, and more walking, we finally arrived at our first hostel. We had the chance to explore the city for a little bit which was beautiful. I think anyone who goes to a different country is always expecting a huge drastic change of scenery, but Australia wasn’t like that for me. Although there were some odd things such as the steering whell being on the right side of the car, and people driving on the opposite side of the road, most of the city reminded me of walking through the streets of San Francisco. By the time we made it back to our hostel and all checked into our rooms, we were so exhausted from flying for so long and all of the changes, we all were asleep by 4pm our time!

The time change was definitely difficult to get used to. The next morning I woke up at 3am ready for the day because back home it was 10am! Although I was so tired I did manage to fall back asleep. By the time we were all up, we were ready for a day full of exploring! Today we would see the Sydney Opera House!! On our way to the opera house, we were able to walk through the Botanical Gardens which were gorgeous with tons of different plants and scenery to look at. And at last we saw the ocean, AND THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE. It was right in front of us!! Walking up the steps to it was probably the most breathtaking thing I have ever done. It was huge!! Although I had already spent a day in Sydney, it didn’t hit me that I was actually in Australia until I saw the opera house. We also got to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and explore Darling harbour.

Me standing on the steps of the Opera House!!

And then our journey continued onto our next destination; the beach! Our hostel was about a 10 mintue walk from Bondi beach. It’s crazy how the two hostels were only about 30 mintues from each other, yet the scenery and environment was so completely different. We took a few days to explore the beach, including eating lunch on the famous Bondi beach, and walking along 3 other beaches through the coastal walk. We even made our own spaghetti for dinner one night!

Bondi Beach

I am now currently sitting in the Sydney aiport waiting to board my flight to Townsville, where my next journey awaits me! In just a few hours we will be in Townsville, Australia at the YWAM base where all our teammates eagerly await our arrival! Although I am a little bit anxious for these next 6 months, I can’t wait to see what God is about to do!

I am still a few thousand dollars short to cover my trip cost, so if you would like to donate, you can email me at kamicrume@gmail.com for the best way to give, or there is a link to my GoFundMe page on my blog homepage. I would aslo greatly appreciate prayer for me and my teammates as we embark on this journey!

If you’ve made it this far thanks for following my journey, and reading my blog! Although my life is about to get a whole lot busier, I will try to post another blog in the next week or two, so keep your eyes open!

Goodbye for now!

— Kami Crume

Sydney Harbour Bridge
One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.