Player Ratings: Huddersfield vs Manchester United
Manchester United’s unbeaten start to the season came to an end unexpectedly at Huddersfield today. United looked shaky from the start and were made to pay for defensive lapses in the first half. United recovered and were much better in the second half but it wasn’t enough on the day.
Here are the player ratings from the game.
- David De Gea: 6-Didn’t have much to do except pick the ball from the back of the net. Came and collected the ball whenever needed and distribution was solid.
- Antonio Valencia: 5.5- Decent but unspectacular performance from the captain. Could have overlapped more and created more trouble from the right but Huddersfield’s left back was comfortable for the vast majority of the game.
- Phil Jones- Went off injured early in the first half. A big blow.
- Chris Smalling- 4- Didn’t have much to do but looked liked an accident waiting to happen whenever there was defending to do. Will find it hard to hold onto his place in the team when Bailly returns. Missed a decent opportunity in the 93rd minute. Should have done better.
- Ashley Young- 6- Best defender of the bunch. The only one who tried to create openings and created a few half chances with his crosses in the first half. His influence reduced as the game went on. Booked.
6. Ander Herrera- 3- The weakest link of the team. I don’t understand what exactly is his role in the team. With Matic as the holding midfielder, Herrera needs to do more on the ball than he has been showing recently. He neither has the technique to produce the killer ball, nor has the ability to beat 2–3 players and create space for the others.
7. Nemanja Matic- 5- Lost the ball on many an occasion and couldn’t start any meaningful attacks. If he is to replace Carrick, he would need to show more on the ball ability.
8. Anthony Martial-5- Lost the ball repeatedly in the first half but looked like thee only attacker who had the guile to open Huddersfield up. Booked and subbed at half time.
9. Jesse Lingard-4- Usually so busy and intelligent around the pitch, Lingard was all over the place against Huddersfield. Lost the ball too often. Couldn’t create any meaningful opportunities and did not make his trademark runs which create space for teammates. Needs more time on the pitch.
10. Juan Mata-4- Lost the ball cheaply in midfield which led to Huddersfield’s first goal. Like a lot of his teammates, Mata too seemed to get dispossessed way to easily and only once Henrikh Mkhitaryan came on did any fluency come into his game.
11. Romelu Lukaku- 6- Fed off scraps all game. Got no service and had to come deep to get possession. Created Rashford’s goal with a lovely cross from the right.
- Marcus Rashford-7- Provided the spark which United desperately lacked in the first half with dangerous runs from the left. Got on the end of Lukaku’s inch perfect cross to give United hope.
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan- 6- The difference in overall cohesion in the team when Miki plays is massive. His arrival bought more urgency into United’s game and led to intense pressure on Huddersfield’s back line. United need him to start as many games as possible and build the team around him.
- Victor Lindelof-2- Felt extremely sorry for Lindelof. To see a player of such potential so bereft of confidence was alarming. Brought on early to replace Jones, he was partly responsible for the first goal and solely responsible for the second. Complete lack of awareness. Needs more game time.