Beware Of The Auto Windshield Repair Scams!
It is estimated that there are more than 80,000 auto windshields repaired and replaced each month in Cleveland! But the question is how many of these repair and replace services are really worth for the amount paid by their owners?
Many people are approached by persistent auto glass salespeople representing reputed auto glass companies at their local car washes.
In some places, insurance companies are required by law to waive the deductible for damaged or broken auto glass to encourage vehicle owners to make the repairs. However, some auto windshield repair companies are using that trick to convince customers that they can get new car window glasses for free as they are fully covered.
The dishonest auto glass repair companies will rent parking lot space from Cleveland gas stations or car washes or auto repair facilities to seek business through unnecessary auto glass repair and replacements. Once the vehicle owner agrees to the contract, those scammers will subcontract the replacement with another less expensive auto glass repair company and turn a profit from your insurance claim. Some scammers also represent the insured and obtain multiple auto windshield repair claims.
The following are few of the scams related to car window repair in Cleveland that you should be aware of –
- Replacing costly car window glasses which only have a small crack or chip could easily be repaired. Some scammers also claim to insurance companies to repair several chips or cracks whereas only one chip was fixed. Some fraudulent also charge you for several windshield replacements without you knowing it!
- Scammers may replace your good, original and expensive windshield which has only a small chip. That could have been repaired at little cost. They might also charge unnecessarily for replacing several chips even when only one chip was supposed to fix.
- The swindlers might convince motorists to participate by offering freebies such as movie tickets, steaks or car washes. They might also offer cash discounts or increase the repair bill to cover the deductible.
- Some fraudulent are poorly trained and disappear quickly after doing shoddy repairs. You can find them approaching people at car washes, gas stations, parking lots or booths at county fairs. They can be proactive and continuously bother you to get the bogus repairs.
- There are some scammers also who may convince the driver to replace the perfectly good windshield. Then they will charge to your insurance company unnecessarily stating that the windshield has been severely damaged and need repairing/replacing.
- Often, these workers are poorly trained and work out of pickup trucks in parking lots, quickly disappearing after the shoddy repairs. You might notice them approach people at car washes, gas stations or conveniences stores. In addition to the safety risk from cheap substandard glass or poor quality, you could face raised premiums or possible coverage loss due to recurring hits on the policy.
- There are also crooks that also convince vehicle’s owners to participate. They plan the entire scam plot in such way that it seems harmless, innocent and risk-free. For that, they offer different freebies like car washes, movie tickets or an inducement.
Most auto glass repair shops are honest, but fraudulent workers may try to involve you in the same windshield scams when you take your vehicle in for repairs. You much check their license and accreditation before receiving their offers.
Auto glass scammers make their profits from a high-volume business. They can repair or replace a windshield easily and quickly and then charge high and costly markups.
Remember to deny whenever and wherever a salesperson approach you asking for an unnecessary auto glass repair or replacement. Report the incident to your local insurance department. If you need car window repair in Cleveland, contact your insurance representative for reputable glass companies in your area.