You are what you admire
a collection of products I’ve admired lately.
- Instagram: the yet-to-be-dethroned leader in overall app design and user engagement. Love how the product has evolved over time, staying accessible while adding more complex features for seasoned users.
- Shyp: Such a great look and UX that I wish I had to shyp stuff more often.
- Secret (v1 — not a fan of v2) and Soundcloud: loaded with polished execution. So many delightful details. More here and here.
- Mailbox: the right interactions enable increased productivity (or at least the feeling of productivity ;)
- Yahoo! News Digest: makes news consumption so pleasant
- Headspace: excellent user guidance throughout a 10-day program.
- Talko: doing a good job of tackling some tough UI challenges.
- Coffitivity: like Febreeze for office noise. Neutralizes conversations and allows you to focus.
- Noto/Captio: a must for the homescreen — quickly capture notes and have them sent to your inbox (either work or personal) automatically.
- Momentum: beautiful “new tab” replacement for Chrome that helps to add calm and focus throughout the day.
- Hours: useful for tracking hours when doing contract work, but finding it delightful (from a time-tracking app??) and leading to insights when I use it to track my personal productivity.
- Producthunt: subtle design cues lead to repeat visits.
- Medium: the best text editing experience online, period.
- Canopy, LittleList: these sites won’t take over the web with massive scale, but they’re well executed — with clean and clear sign up flows and thoughtful user engagement.