Space Game Dev Blog #4

Sorry for the brief hiatus between posts. I ended up refactoring a portion of the project so that it can scale better once it becomes larger. And now for the updates.

Not too much has been updated since the last blog post. There were a few bugs that needed to be patched as a result of the revised code. The good news is that there is now a generic enemy that all the enemies will inherit attributes from, making it easier to create new enemies and to update all the enemies at once (for generic things).


The newest enemy I made is called a WallEye, which just sounds bizarre when writing about it. It does live up to the name, though. It’s basically a giant red eye that sticks to a wall. I came up with this enemy because I wanted the jet pack area to have some sort of challenge.

It’s not much to look at, unfortunately.

It’s strategically placed at the far end of the jet pack area, just far enough so that the player won’t be able to see it until they’re in the firing range of the WallEye. Yes, these guys have the ability to shoot stuff at the hero! That part is almost done, it basically just needs collision detection for the projectiles. Here’s a small video of the update:

There’s a small glitch with the projectile dying too early (see if you can spot it)

I’m not sure if anybody noticed, but somehow the game looks a lot sharper for some reason, I think this has something to do with the canvas height/width and the pixel scaling. Also, I still have not been able to find a solution for that jitter with the moving platform.

Anyhow, stay tuned for more updates. Now that the code base is cleaner, it should be easier to tack things on in the future.