- What problem are you trying to solve?
News does not give their readers and audiences the ability to mobilize and take social action in making a positive impact on the news stories that matter to them.
- What is your mission statement? (1–2 sentences)
Our news agency creates solutions journalism; we understand today’s social movements and how to turn interest in an issue into action. Our stories expose injustices, break the silence, and speak the truth to power — in tandem with our news audience and our network of community partners we co-create innovative solutions and take transformative social actions that uplifts all.
- Explain your basic editorial strategy for creating this content. (No more than 5 bullet points. e.g. Daily blog posts? Twitter? Instagram? Live periscope?)
1) Short and compelling video new reports — distributed via. Facebook (see: NowThisNews, AJ+ on Facebook)
2) Solutions journalism, profiling environmental & social change makers— distributed via. web blog post.
3) ‘Take Transformative Action Button’ attached to every story — allows the reader to take a transformative action to boost a solution.
4) Advocacy journalism — journalism that intentionally and transparently adopts a non-objective viewpoint, usually advocating for some social or political purpose. Because it is intended to be factual, it is distinguished from propaganda. distributed via. creating original video and written stories.
5) Investigative journalism reporting; to expose social ills and corporate and political corruption— distributed via. social media
- Who’s the audience?
- Our news reports focus on the Millennial generation as well as current and former leaders, activists and social entrepreneurs from all generations.
- What else has been done to cover this topic? How will this be different?
Competitors covering solutions journalism/advocacy reporting:
- Huffing Post: What’s Working
- Politico: What Works
- Come up with 3 questions that you’d ask your potential readers/audience to help improve your editorial product.
- Could you help us understand what goes through your mind when a story in the news causes you to make you feel and emotion deeply and want to take action!
- What type of actions would you most want to take?
- Can you help us understand the type of people, places, and perspectives you believe is missing from mainstream news coverage?