Becoming a frontend developer from now to a year Day 1. How much I will learn? and do I will land a Job?
First, why I am here writing about this journey and why is a matter?. Well, I have been struggling almost a couple of years working as a graphic designer trying to make a living out of it, but since in my country it is not a well paid career I am trying to switch it.
Don’t take me wrong, I love what I do as a graphic designer, but a few years ago I felt in love with UI Design, so much, so I want to bring to life all those designs I have made. Other than that, I want to find a well paid job outside my country 😁.
The other part of why I am doing this, and it is to prove to my self I can achieve anything I want. Being a designer in my country is not a well-paid career, so I decide to become a Frontend Developer (because I have a background as an UI designer I think it will be easier for me to design and implement my own designs, once I have leaned the needed skills).
What will be the path?
Foremost, I have made research of how to become a Frontend Developer and I found I should know these things:
- Learn and master html, css.
- While learning React, I will dedicate a couple of hours a week to learn about Styled Components, a library to add CSS directly to a component (forgive the repetition).
- My next move will be to learn about next.js (at this moment I don’t know what can I do with this framework, but I have heard it is to work with the backend).
- Along this year I will learn other tools as well, like git (what I know now is that it is for version control), command line (to install things in VS Code).
I was studying Computer Science at the university and there, I was learning Java, C and C++ (beginner level and that was two years ago). But I know how If statements, loops and OOP works as well as other things related to programming.
I learn quickly and I put all my effort to acomplish whatever I try to do.
What I Learn Today
- Import a JS file into a HTML document.
- How to use the DevTools console to debug my program how variables work (is very different from another programming languages);
- the difference between const, let and var.
- Data types and the implicit type conversion.
- How conditional statements works.
Well, that’s all from my first day. I know here there are amazing programmers. If you can share any advice in the comments or if I have miss something I should know to become a successful frontend developer, I will be more than grateful. Thanks in advance.