My review of 2018
A summary of my year-long goals and results
I have always had trouble motivating myself with traditional S.M.A.R.T goals. They seem so small and find a hard time caring about them.
I am a believer in what I call Heroic goals.
Heroic goals are big motherfucker goals that you know you cannot achieve but work heroically towards them anyway. I do this because it inspires maximum effort.
I believe I achieve more, despite failing, with these kinds of goals.
My Goals and the Results
- Climb Mt Rainier
- Complete 36 credits towards my Computer Science Degree
- I hired a Physical trainer
- I hired a Diet Coach
- I regularly hiked every Sunday and even traveled to place in Canada like Squamish and Banf, to climb mountains. I’ve done more hiking this year then all my other years combined.
- I scheduled blocks of time to complete my college work and my entire Saturdays.
Climbing Mt Adams, Washington
Due to thunderstorms. It sucks because I was within 600 feet to the summit when thunderclouds starting rolling in. I felt strong and I would have completed it the weather wasn’t so dangerous.
Climbing Black Tusk, Squamish, Canada
I seemed to attract thunderstorms. We were near the mountain by the time that thunderstorms rolled in. We turned back to our camp at Lake Girabaldi and called it a night.
Climbing Mt Rainer
I gave myself a test of climbing to Camp Muir (10,188 ft) with a 40lb backpack in under five hours. I did it in eight and it was the hardest thing that I have ever done in my life. I underestimated the effect of altitude on my energy levels. I canceled my guided tour to the peak of Mt Rainer, because I was not ready yet, despite all of my work.
- Completed Calculus after failing three times. This one class took me 6 months alone to pass.
- Completed 24 credits towards my Computer Science degree
- Climbed Mt Si over 6 times
- Completed various hikes and mountains climb in Canada, in places like Squamish and Banff.
- I am in the best shape of my life physically. I am not my skinniest weight but I am the most active I’ve ever been.
- Lost over 30 pounds while putting on muscle. I went from 236lb to 205lb
- Ate healthier food, which will contribute long term to my weight loss.
- I got promoted to Web Developer III
- I completed AWS certification for Solution Architecture
- I took up Martial Arts
- I got my Filipino passport, making me a dual citizen
- I wrote over 26 blog posts
- I read over 33 books