31 Days to Master Facebook Marketing: Day 12 Facebook 360 Photos
Have you noticed that every time you go to a movie there is always the option to view it in 3D? FOR EVERY MOVIE!! I remember when 3D first came out and it was a treat to go see a movie in which you felt like the leading lady was about to fall into your lap but now, it is one of the most common ways to view a film in theaters.
Well, guess what? Facebook will not be left behind when it comes to the 3D craze and they have created a feature that allows you to create a 3D view of your environment with their new Facebook 360 photos.
Here is what I mean…..
Social Media Examiner gives a great example of what a normal photo would look like…
Just your normal everyday photo right?
Here is the example of the same scene but in 3D (click on the pic to look around)
Isn’t that so cool? I love how it really invites you into the scene and shows you around instead of just looking at a static image.
Can you even imagine how this can be used for your business? Let me count the ways……
- Share a 360 photo of your new brick and mortar store. Show your audience around as you give them information on where you’re located, the front of your shop and a sneak peak in the window. It is a a great way to get them excited and interested in new products, a grand opening or better yet, what’s on sale!
- Share 360 photos of events to promote an up and coming event. For example, last year you led a really cool conference and you have 360 photos of the audience, speakers and venue that you want to share to get your Facebook Fans pumped up for this year’s event. Use your 360 photos to promote the up and coming conference and don’t forget to make sure you have a call-to-action button so they can sign up!
- Share some of your services. For example, perhaps you own a pet store that offers all kinds of services from dog grooming to pet sitting. Use 360 photos to show what animals are available in the store for adoption as well as a dog or two getting all nice and prettied up for their owners. You could show the newest litter of kittens or the scariest snake you have for sale with 3D photos that get your customers more engaged and ready to come in to the store.
- Share a sneak peak of a new product or service you are offering. Let’s say you own a spa or a business that offers facials or skin care treatments. 3D photos are a great way to give your audience a sneak peak at how the new skin peel works or how wonderful the deep tissue massage feels. Get fans excited to go to your website and sign up.
- Sharing 360 photos on your Page. This is a fantastic way to generate engagement. If you have fans and customers coming to an event or to your store, have them shoot their own 360 photos and post to your Page! When others see what customers are posting and liking they will be inspired to check it out too! You can even offer a free product or coupon to those that post a 360 photo to your page.
So here’s the thing….you have to have a mobile device to actually take a 360 photo for Facebook. AND you have to be able to take a panoramic pic with your mobile device. If you have an iPhone it must be a 4s or newer and if you have a Samsung it must be the Galaxy S5 or newer.
Simply take a panorama with your phone […] and then post it on Facebook as you would a normal photo. From there, we’ll convert it to an immersive 360 photo that people can explore, similar to how people experience 360 videos on Facebook …
360-degree photos posted to Facebook can be identified by the compass icon overlayed on the right-hand side. When viewing on your iPhone, just turn yourself and the phone to look around; on the web, click-and-drag.
You don’t need to do anything special to upload them. Once you have the panorama on your iPhone, just tap Photo in the Facebook app as normal and select the panoramic image — Facebook will do the rest.
To change the starting view of a 360 photo:
- Hover over
- Click and drag on your photo to change the starting view
- Click Save
I only have an iPhone but I found this for android users…….
Uploading a 360 photo seems easy: take a photo using a 360° camera app, then upload it like you would any other photo. The photo can then be viewed by tilting your phone around to view every facet of the image. If you own a phone that is compatible with the Gear VR headset, a button in the top left will allow you to ‘View in VR.’ Insert the phone into your always on-hand Gear VR and you will see the 360 photo in full virtual reality.
Can you think of some other ways to use 360 photos for your business? I mean, you could totally take pics of anything to promote your store, event, new book, jewelry party, skin care line, I mean just about everything!
Leave a comment of some ways you have used 360 photos on Facebook and if you have any questions, head on over to our Facebook Group and ask away. I’m here to help :)
Originally published at Social Media Mom.