Product leaders need to keep up with the latest techniques and trends for managing the very best product in their respective market. This is no different from programmers learning a new framework or doctors learning about new methods for treating illnesses. There are many great resources for product managers to stay current including online courses, blogs and seminars.
Listed in no particular order each of these book offers things that you can apply right away. If we treat our product work as a constantly evolving process, learning from our team and from others as we go along, we can be sure that our businesses will have the best chance of being disruptive. If we are not progressing, we are falling behind the competition. The books listed below have valuable insight from proven business and product leaders. Many managers have a must-read list, this is mine.
- Getting Things Done — David Allen
- Thinking Fast and Slow — Daniel Kahneman
- The Signal and the Noise — Nate Silver
- The Wisdom of the Crowds — James Surowiecki
- How Not To Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking — Jordan Ellenberg
- Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas — Jake Knapp
- Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams — Banfield, Eriksson, Walkingshaw
- The Innovator’s Dilemma — Clayton Christensen
- Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions — Christian/Griffiths
- Start with Why — Simon Sinek
Stay thirsty my friends!