After presenting my initial slides to our creativity counsellor and the rest of my design group last week, I received a plethora of useful feedback of all different kinds. My initial slides, while a good start, could use a lot of improvement, and I went all out in redesigning the areas that could use improvement while strengthening the areas that worked best.
The most prevalent feedback that I received was that I had too much text and not enough images. I felt that all of the text on my initial slides served a purpose and was informative and my group agreed, however there was just too much and so I had to find a better way to convey the same information visually. I cut down much of the explanation on my first slide and focused on the most important elements: the three main problems that my product aimed to solve. In place of the text, I added three images that visually conveyed the type of confusion that bus riders might encounter while simultaneously introducing concepts like the map, bus route, positional marker, and bus stop ETA that became major elements of my second slide. While I am much more proud of my second slide overall, I think my first slide improved more between the two iterations and I’m happy with how much I was able to trim while still increasing the information conveyed by the slide.
The feedback of “more pictures, less text” continued with my second slide, so I decided to dramatically redesign and re-focus the slide by putting the image of my design solution front and center. I used a one-point perspective drawing rather than the reportedly-confusing two-point perspective drawing that I had previously. The one-point perspective also served as a focal point for the slide, so I reintroduced much of the text as annotated information about details of the drawing. Rather than using a scanned image alone, I first drew, scanned, and retraced a new illustration using Photoshop. I wanted to place a greater emphasis on my survey results as I felt that those helped make a strong case for my product, so I created some simple graphics that connected to the figures to draw more attention to the specific numbers inside. Finally, I laid what little text remained centered above and below the illustration.
Since I was planning on making my video as close as possible to what I could present during the upcoming Walleye Tank, I chose not to use any outside visuals and only film myself and my slides. As such, I focused on writing my pitch to the best of my abilities, promoting my concept by explaining the value that it fills and the market potential in the form of the survey data, all without sounding too much like an infomercial.
My storyboard reflects these decisions. I divided the pitch up into six segments composing roughly 10 seconds, or 2–3 sentences, each, with my main categories being major points that we discussed in-class. I did not make my storyboard terribly fancy, as it was only really intended to roughly lay out the setting and story beats of my video, but I think it served its purpose well and I ended up including essentially every element in the manner depicted. Unfortunately, I was unable to get my computer to film correctly and so I couldn’t show off my slides in my final video as much as I wanted, but I think my presentation stands without them and I’ll be sure to pull the slides up on the big screen during the final Walleye Tank pitch.
Link to video: https://youtu.be/21svARn-dyY
Thank you for reading!
Tuesday Nov 27
- Start to brainstorm a storyboard and practice video creation.
Wednesday Nov 28
- Continue to work on storyboard.
Thursday Nov 29
- Get feedback on presentation slides and start to come up with changes to improve them.
Friday Nov 30
- Finish storyboard and slide updates.
Saturday Dec 1
- Start to work on video pitch.
Sunday Dec 2
- Continue to work on video pitch. Get some feedback from friends about the video and start filming.
Monday Dec 3
- Film and edit video pitch by Monday night.
Tuesday Dec 4
- Begin blog post and finish video.
Wednesday Dec 5
- Finish up blog post and start to practice for the Walleye tank!