SketchNotes — Dieter Rams principles of Good Design
It is important to have guidelines and success matrix for Design. Though Business and Functional goals are important, it is necessary to understand that they are not the only guiding factors of Good Design.
During the industrial design revolution, Dieter Rams gave a set of principles as a yardstick to measure the Design.
Though there are tons of articles on these principles, widely present on the Internet, I took on to create a SketchNote for quick visual reference.
In a nutshell, the following are the 10 Principles
- Good design is Innovative
- Good design makes product Useful
- Good design is Aesthetic
- Good design makes a product Understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is Honest
- Good design is long lasting
- Good design is thorough to the last details
- Good design is environmentally friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible
Somehow many of the principles work at an ecosystem level and are difficult to envisage at low level i.e. when designing a UI of a mobile app. Like how can UI be environmentally friendly and will it help to strip down all the color and typography leisures?
We see design trends change every year. In this constant chaos, how can a Design be long-lasting. Is it that Product becomes long-lasting because of the feature of Good Design?
As little design as possible doesn’t mean limiting the process but not going overboard.