If I walk into a room of people and ask them who’s a better than average driver, 90% of them will raise their hand. The other 10% won’t raise their hand because they know I’m asking a trick question but secretly they believe it too. Everybody does.
…ey have to actively deny evidence to fit what they already believe. That’s how belief systems work. We’re wired to think we’re right even when we’re wrong. It’s crazy but it’s true.
It’s important to know when — and when not — to let words do the heavy lifting as you tackle design problems. For example, a tooltip that states the name of an icon button is a great way that words can support a design’s usability. A tooltip that explains what will happen when you click, tells you why you should click, and urges you to take action shouldn’t be a tooltip. Words shouldn’t solve functionality issues that the design itself could better address.