28 Ways Medium could be better.
Things that Medium has accomplished since publishing this article are bolded.
- When publishing an article, I want as many people to read it right away. There should be a chronological feed that shows all the latest published articles.
- Collections should be more emphasized at the top of the front page.
- I should be able to “follow” my favorite collections so I can see an article once it is published.
- iPad publishing!
- I’d like to log in with e-mail sometimes instead of just twitter.
- It would be great if the images on the left were images from the Medium community to highlight cool people’s photos.
- Adding my article to a collection is hard, please make it easier.
- I want to embed video in posts! Even make the cover photo a video!
- Just like Google Docs, I’d like to collaborate with others in real-time. I.e. – I type something and they type something at the same time.
- Making a note on a mobile device is really hard.
- Notes should be easier to see! I have to look really hard to find and see if someone made a comment.
- There should be a native chat on Medium so I can talk to people outside of the comment section.
- Send me a text message when someone recommends or comments on my article.
- Get notified when someone posts about a certain topic.
- Be able to embed my blog on my website like Tumblr does.
- Like iBooks does, have a “night” and “day” feature that inverses the page from black/white so I can read articles in the night.
- Commenters should be able to control whether a post is public or private.
- Get a “badge” of sorts on my profile if I get an editor’s pick, get to the front page, or get more than 100 recs, ect.
- The invite-only concept of Medium, right now, makes people really excited to be able to post! It’s a great feeling of priveledge. It should stay that way.
- The text that says “Editors picks” and “most recommended today” should be bolded. Sometimes it’s hard to read.
- I’d like to see a history of articles I’ve read.
- Within collections, there should be a chat or wall so people with the same interests can have a discussion.
- Offline reading – be able to save an article as a .pdf or email me a .pdf so I can read it later.
- Paid pages – $0.99 a month to be able to read high quality articles, like for the New York Times or journalists.
- Location should be added to my bio. I’d like to see where people are located physically.
- A medium email account would be cool. Person@medium.com Going along with the native chat client I proposed earlier.
- The “Activity” page is cluttered. I wish it was better organized.
- A printable archive – turn my Medium posts into a physical book so I can give it to future employers to show them how awesome I am.
Tell me what you think. I’ll add it here. Follow me @_kyleryan
- Everyone wants a search bar.
- Translation for posts. If you see a post in another language, have a built in way to translate and read it.