Tricia Howard on Security as a Culture not a Tool Set
Joining us this week is Tricia Howard, Client Manager, Optiv for a special RANTCAST on Security.
Optiv Security is a security solutions integrator that enables clients to reduce risk by taking a strategic approach to cybersecurity. Align your security program to achieve specific business outcomes with our full suite of service capabilities, from strategy to technology — and everything in between.
· Security Rant
· Data Privacy and Rights / Data Security
· Companies and Storage/Security of Personal Data
· Data is a Currency
· Securing Systems and Data Leakage
· Password Re-Use and Lack of Re-Use Impact on Vendors / SIM Hacking
· Monopoly Power of Big Tech Companies & Gov’t Regulation
· Dark Web — What is it?
· Identity on Internet
· Perimeter Security
· 0 min 32 sec: Introduction of Guest
· 1 min 20 sec: Rant on Security
o Lack of Security Awareness outside of IT
o End-User Shame vs End User Enable
· 4 min 42 sec: What should Companies do who Collect Data?
o Users should have rights to know what they are opting in for ~ Data Mining
o Facebook and Congress not understanding each other
· 8 min 05 sec: Intermixing Data Privacy and Data Security?
o Not mutually exclusive
o Build a culture around security
· 9 min 03 sec: Data Leaks from Companies with our Data
o How is data being forwarded to other companies that I am unaware is happening
o Nothing is Free ~ Data is a Currency
· 15 min 30 sec: Securing Systems and then Spreading Data all over the Internet
o Zero Trust
o Bouncers and Bartenders
o Password re-use creates issues for vendors
o SIM Card Hacking (#130 The SnapChat Thief)
· 19 min 22 sec: Journalist Video on Not using Large Corporations for Security Reasons
o Duck Duck Go (still runs on AWS)
o Gov’t Regulations?
o Dark Web — What is it? Nefarious
· 23 min 30 sec: Identity on the Internet
o Is our identity provable on the Internet?
o IoT identity and Edge
o Blog — Identity of Things from Tricia
· 26 min 43 sec: Perimeter Security
o There is no perimeter
o Security as Culture not a Toolset
· 28 min 02 sec: Wrap-Up
o Includes Westminster 2019 Discussion
Podcast Guest: Tricia Howard, Client Manager, Optiv
A Native Texan now living in the magnificent New York City, Tricia Howard is an artist gone rogue who ended up in the wonderful world of technology. With a B.A. in Theatre Arts and interests ranging from Star Wars to Opera, she brings a unique and artistic perspective to her clients and the tech world. When she’s not solving business problems, you can find her singing, painting, and doing copious amounts of jigsaw puzzles.