Yvette Gavin is an international speaker, trainer, author, and coach. She’s the founder of Yvette Gavin Consulting, a global personal and professional development firm that helps established and aspiring executives, high achievers, and entrepreneurs experience accelerated success while building a holistic lifestyle.
What motivated and inspired you to start your own business?
The strongest memory of my childhood is of me inspiring others. I enjoy helping others. I am highly successful in helping others achieve their dreams and goals. When a family friend asked me to teach her how to advance her career to six-figures, I said OK.
Through my coaching, she advanced her annual income from $70,000 to $173,000 annually. But it wasn’t until another friend asked me do help her and I coached her from a $65,000 to $162,000 that I knew it was time for me to move out of my comfort zone and highly rewarding career to help others grow their careers and companies.
I have always known that I was called to inspire and help others achieve their fullest potential.
Tell us about your business.
Yvette Gavin Consulting is a business and personal development firm. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, with clients throughout the United States and abroad, our core competency is in inspirational and transformative interpersonal communications and organizational leadership. We deliver our services through business strategies, training courses, one-on-one and group coaching, and keynote speeches.
Our mission: To equip people with insightful information, tools, and techniques so they can experience amazing success in their personal, professional and spiritual development.
Our philosophy is based on the Chinese proverb, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
The mission of Yvette Gavin Consulting is to feed people for a lifetime.
Are you currently running any promos/contests/giveaways that you would like our readers to know about?
Yes, we’re offering the following:
- A FREE Coaching Discovery call
- During the month of January 2018, we are offering a 15% discount on our coaching and training packages
- Our giveaway is a FREE ebook on “How To Prepare For A Phone Interview”
- 2017 BOSS Network STAR
- Leadership Excellence Coin from the 78th Aviation Troop Command for my dedication to providing relationship training to Georgia’s Soldiers
- Recipient of the State of Georgia Governor’s Award for Outstanding Leadership
- Received numerous leadership and process improvement awards from various fortune 500 companies, such as Cox Communications, Delta Air Lines, Maritz Communication Company
- Certified John Maxwell Coach, Speaker, and Trainer
- Certified Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program (PREP) facilitator
- Certified life coach from the International Christian Coaching Association (ICCA)
- Joe Beam Family Dynamics certified facilitator
- Certified Women Owned Business
- Black Enterprise Magazine Contributor
- Former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the Birmingham (ALA) News as well as, a CNN Headline News (HLN) editor and manager of the Southeastern Bureau.
- Accomplished author, books are: Recalibrate! Navigating The Job Market with Confidence and What to Do After You Say I Do
- Appeared on numerous radio and television programs as a relationship advisor
Where is your business based?
What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
I interviewed people who were doing what I desired to do. I wanted to understand the ups and downs of starting a business focused on speaking, coaching, and training. I then took a closer look at what skill development I needed before launching my. Then I created a launch budget and started working on acquiring the funds.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
- Social media posts
- Getting out in the community
- Referrals from clients
What have been your biggest challenges so far?
My biggest challenge has been around potential clients asking for the “family and friend” discount. I want to help people grow and achieve their dreams and I know that I can help so when people ask if I can lower my rate to accommodate them, it was a challenge at first.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I had to realize that I would not be able to help anyone if I discounted my services in order to get the business. It takes money to operate a business. So, I put my rate in writing and made sure that everyone on my team understood the pricing structure and could speak to it.
I also had to learn that everyone is not my client and that helped me to be comfortable with saying no and allowing a potential client walk away.
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
I read a daily devotional, mediate on the word of God, and pray at least an hour a day. This help me to stay motivated, full of hope, and inspired.
How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
Yvette Gavin Consulting’s approach is holistic, innovative, and highly creative.
What is the best advice you have received recently?
“Sometimes it is actually better to be a big fish in a smaller pond.”1 I used to hate this expression, but today I realize the value in selecting a specific market and ideal client and focusing.
What advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
Plan. And plan well.
What are your favorite business tools/resources and why?
Google. I know that doesn’t sound sexy, but I google everyone and everything. Google!
What is a good article or book you have read recently?
“The Wealth Choice” by Dennis Kimbro.
What are you currently learning about for your business or looking for help with?
I am learning how to expand my work with the federal government and how to reach more career-minded individuals.
What are your goals for the next few months and how are you striving to achieve them?
In 2018, Yvette Gavin Consulting is focusing on reaching 2000 new connections and increasing its revenue by 48%. How we will do it is by serving others and providing superior service.
What social media outlets do you use? List them below.
LinkedIn Yvette Gavin
Hashtags #yvettegavin #yvettegavinconsulting