37 Link Building Strategies for Better Ranking
Before implementing effective link building strategies its important to make sure that your sites are optimized for the keywords you are targeting and the on-site SEO is properly implemented. There should be a lot of keyword relevant content on your site and the home page should provide a lot of relevance for the keywords you are targeting. In reality, ranking is not just about effective link building strategies, its also about the relevance of your site to its keywords. Remember that you are dealing with an algorithm in Google, a bot that automatically crawls sites and then decides if the site should rank for the keywords its targeting, its never enough to just build links with proper anchor text or to have your keywords in the title tag of the page, the on site content must match as well.
Effective Link Building Strategies
Our seo consultants service research and share The most effective link building strategy today and into 2017 is to make sure your link profiles look natural! All webmasters and bloggers will some sort of solicited link building, this is just a fact, but there is link building that is efficient and then there is the kind thats reckless and consequently can be destructive.
1. Dont be greedy in link building and dont rush to rank, long term ranking takes time, patience and quality links, NOT 10,000 profile links. The Google algorithm has gotten smarter, build links slowly and look to quality and not quantity.
2. Write high quality content and promote it to get natural links as much as possible, this is the best of premium link building that has longevity and guarantees long term success. Commenting on related Comment Luv Blogs is a safe and easy way to give your content exposure, which brings traffic, which brings links when other bloggers like what they read.
3. Guest posting is safe and can be every effective to build quality links to money sites and/or build brand and authority in any niche. You would be surprised how many authority, high end blogs and sites accept guest posts, Mashable does, and many others as well. Usually you can find the link in their footer.
4. If you havent done so already I strongly recommend you sign up for my blog updates with email and I will give you my latest ebook for free called Ultimate Guest Post Handbook For Website Promotion.
5. Trust me everything you need is in this handbook, including more than 50 sources for guest posts, great tips on optimizing your guest post campaigns and a lot more.
6. Subscribe here and it will be delivered to you as soon as you confirm your subscription OR if youre still not sure about getting a very useful handbook for FREE, then please go here to learn more about the book.
7. Get links for ALL the pages on your site, NOT just the home page. Many people get all their links to the home page only, another red flag. In reality, you can rank the home page without a bunch of links because as you get links to your inner pages it naturally helps with the ranking of all the pages on your site, including the home page.
8. Build links slowly for new sites. Start with just a few and then let it age for a month or so before getting more and keep adding quality content.
9. Avoid crappy low quality links and especially when your site is new. Try to build a solid link profile with strong links, like contextual links from related sites as much as possible before getting crappy links, like a lot of articles, blog comments, irrelevant site linksetc. New sites do not have any trustworthy quality signals, such as quality links and that is thats when low quality links can hurt the most.
10. NEVER EVER use link pages, those are those web pages usually named something really stupidly obvious, like domain.com/links or worse yet domain.com/link-partners and the page is full of nothing but reciprocal links to other sites that have your site on their links page. This is not only no where near premium link building, its an obvious link scheme only meant to manipulate search engines into rankings. They are worthless, completely outdated and dangerous because it screams link scheme and can you sent to the Google black hole! If you have a links page, DELETE IT NOW!!!
11. Effective link building strategies include links from a diverse set of IPs.
12. Vary your anchor texts, vary, vary vary and vary again. Natural link profiles do not have the same exact keyword phrases for their anchors that site owners are targeting for each link, people do not link out that perfectly naturally. In a Google penguin world sites should have no more than a 20% occurrence of the same anchor. If every link in your profile has mostly the same anchor for each page, then you can be sure to raise red flags and get a quick penalty from Google, like the -50, which lands every singe page of your site on Page 5 or lower, and there they will stay for months and years. Use the URL as the anchor, use click here, this site, add other words to the anchor to go along with the main keywords.
13. Build links slowly Quality over Quantity (did I say that all ready?)
14. One of the best link building strategies is to link out to others. Create Best Of Top 100 type posts referencing others people work and sites in your niche, when you give other people links you get links back. Linking out is good, contrary to some myths out there, you dont have to hoard your link juice, and worry about losing traffic (if youre worried you probably dont have much anyway), and no linking out to good sites and content wont hurt your rankings, it actually helps, learn more at Linking Out From Your Website.
15. Track rankings to see the effectiveness of your link building strategies. Depending on the competitiveness of your keywords, you can sometimes rank with very few links.
16. Track your link building and anchors over time, Majestic SEO is free and works great.
17. Get both nofollow and dofollow links. Learn more at NoFollow vs Dofollow Links Why You Need Both.
18. Checking out and duplicating competitors links is a great link building strategy. Use Open Site Explorer and then try to get the same.
19. Contextual links are best These are links that are within a related piece of text. Even better when the entire site is in a related niche.
20. Dont waste time on useless links that link directly to your money sites (Forum profile links, ie: Angelas links, directories, crappy article sites, ie: content farms)
21. Use social media. Make friends, connections, reach out to other bloggers and network, this often creates community which results in premium link building opportunities that come naturally. Learn more with Best Social Media Apps To Boost Your Brand.
22. Dont get stuck on getting links only from blogs, try to get links from static sites and various platforms. Learn more at Links From Static Website.
23. Write content that is link worthy, this is the absolute best way to get a natural link profile. Make sure to get that content noticed by using various social sites, Facebook, Twitter, and social sites specific to your niche. Here are 22 Social Sites To Promote Internet Marketing, Blogging, Make Money Online, SEO Related Content.
24. Google + Google has confirmed that they will be using their own social site Google +1, as part of the ranking signals in their algorithms, so make sure your content lives up to getting a +1 rating. The best WordPress Google +1 plugin is here.
25. STAY AWAY from Themes sponsorships. This is a link scheme where you pay to get links to your sites placed in WordPress theme footers, and users of those themes cannot remove the links, which can result in thousands of useless and harmful toge links and Google has penalized sites time and time again for doing this, its an obvious link scheme, useless and harmful to your sites.
26. Avoid home page, footer, blogroll, contextual or any kind of links on irrelevant sites. When Google sees a link to Weight Loss on a Laptop site thats a red flag for paid link.
27. Be careful using link wheels. Link wheel link building strategies can be effective when done properly, which most people dont know how, and so then they become dangerous because they can be easily detected and viewed as link farms, which is against Google TOS.
28. Internal link building within your own site is an essential link building strategy. Placing links to your own content on relevant posts and with relevant anchor text goes a long way for SEO. Learn more at Internal Link Building for On Site SEO.
29. Build Links To Your Links 2nd and 3rd tier links are very effective for getting a powerful flow of juice to your money or primary sites. Build links to your articles, and social media links, get links for the content that links to you. Example: You get a link on a blog in a post + Write an article on GoArticles and Ezine Articles linking to that post + Submit that article to social media links. This is where many find profile links to be effective, they use them to boost links to their sites, instead of linking directly to their money or primary sites.
30. Ask for links! This is not something I spend a lot of time doing, but probably should, its tedious work, but many top SEOs spend their days doing this type of premium link building. Most emails I get for this, and I get many each day are useless, because theses people send generic crap reciprocal link page requests, but sometimes some good ones come through and usually these emails contain some good content the webmaster has written and feels the a link on my site to that content is useful and relevant to my readers, so if you have linkable content thats one approach. Learn more about using this link building strategy at: Best Ways To Outreach Link Building.
31. Get an interview from someone important in your niche. This will usually earn you a backlink to that interview on their sites and others.
32. If you are going to comment on dofollow blogs make sure and check out the comment section for blogger moderation of comments. If you see a bunch of casino, sex or viagra author comment links that are being followed, dont leave your link there, thats a bad neighborhood!
33. YouTube is a great source of traffic (and the link in the profile is dofollow), but more important than that link is the fact that YouTube and other video submissions sites are loaded with viewers. You can get a lot of exposure, traffic back to your sites and if your content is top notch backlinks!!!!!!
34. AVOID 3 way link exchanges, and especially with low quality sites. This is another old school link scheme that can cause issues with Google because if you do a lot of these then a link farm schema can be easily detected. I get lots of email requests for these and its always shady because the webmaster offers some crappy sites for exchange. Usually these are sites created just for this purpose, they have no real value, they are not updated or promoted correctly so the link itself is pretty useless, the last email listed a site that had 215 blogroll links all ready, all irrelevant by the way. What a scam, you give them a link on your high end site and they give you a link on crap?!??!
35. Be careful if youre buying links. Its not worth the penalty, especially avoid buying links at Digital Point Forums, many sites there are so obviously selling links and Google will detect them sooner than later.
36. Convert your best articles to PDF format and submit to the bestPDF directories like Scribd and Docstoc. This lets you show off your work, and can get traffic which can lead to more links.
37. The final link building strategy is that link relevance is more important than link quantity! Yes, its better to get 5 links on relevant sites than 50 links from irrelevant sites.