Self-Promotion is Self-Love; 5 Ways to Inspire Yourself and Stop Worrying About What Everyone Else Thinks
I had a moment this week after receiving some workshop feedback from a participant. “There was really too much self-promotion in this class given how short the time was already.” Cue my evil, self-sabotaging inner critic in her most fierce, talons-out ready stance. I then spent several days paralyzed in fear, not writing, not promoting, not sharing my awesomeness, because I fell into the all-too-familiar good girl posture, who’s reaction is to instantly become small, quiet and ashamed.
Seriously, please, let’s all fuck that for once, shall we?
“Self-promotion is the ultimate act of self-love, self-care, courage and confidence you finally make when you begin to believe in yourself, align with your purpose and calling and are ready to do something about it and share your amazing badassery with the world.” Laura Di Franco
You bet I just quoted myself.
There it is. Please read that again if necessary. Maybe we all need to create a billboard of some sort? I know I do.
Why is this up right now? Because I’ve decided to play bigger in the world. Writing books, speaking on stages, shouting my message out to anyone who wants it, needs it or could be inspired by it.
And I wondered, does playing bigger automatically mean more criticism? Someone in one of my groups reminded me, “That sounds like a limiting belief.” Ooh, I thought, yes! Another limiting belief showing up to test my mindset. I love it.
Because with that awareness I have a choice to believe it, or not. So maybe playing bigger in the world, getting my brave healing message out in to the world on a bigger scale will mean more positive feedback, more clients, more helping others, more amazing opportunities, more of what aligns with the energy of purpose, gratitude, love and enthusiasm.
Wow, that sounds like a way better way to think and believe to me.
And it’s that simple. Really. We get to choose!
I’m really passionate about this because I feel healers have a duty to get a little more brave, share themselves, go for the joy and help the people they are meant to serve. Healers are a special group of badasses who’ve actually chosen this path. A warrior’s path. They’ve chosen to do the healing work, to hold a space for others, to facilitate a process that most days feels impossible and mysterious.
If you’re a healer, I’m talking to you right now. Hear me:
You were born, so you’re worthy. Your message matters. It matters more than ever right now. Yes, that raw, vulnerable, real and ugly message you have to share. The one that will change someone else’s life for the better because you got brave enough to share it out loud.
Read that one again, if necessary.
You get it. Now it’s about doing it.
Here are 5 things to do to inspire yourself and get on with not giving a fuck about the people who choose to criticize you. They aren’t your people. It’s time we wake up to that and start serving the ones who are; start focusing our energy where it matters!
- Breathe and believe you were born, so you’re worthy. Every thought, every story, every message; all meant to heal the world. Start with believing it. Believe it every day, and twice a day on Sundays. Make this a practice.
- Say something positive out loud to yourself every single day. Create a badass mantra that fires you up when you read it and read it out loud to yourself every single day. There are a few in this post. Use them until your own comes pouring through.
- Practice a fierce discipline of mindset awareness. Notice the thoughts in your head and do not add any extra meaning to them. Clear your mind and choose something more helpful to your big vision for your life and business. Do this every day for the rest of your life.
- Hang out and talk to inspiring people who love you. Do this every day. Call them. Email them. Chat with them on Facebook. Stalk them if you have to. But connect. Connect every day.
- Write in your journal about what fires you up, turns you on and what you love so much you lose track of time. Do this every day. Make some cool little post-its or artwork, or billboards with these sentences and plaster them in front of your face every day. Read them. Go to sleep reciting them. Share them with your friends. Meditate with them.
These are just some of the ideas. Point is here, you must begin to practice living in a way that shuts down your inner critic and gets you circling back to brave. You have to put into practice the thoughts, beliefs and actions that align with you and what you do in the world. It’s walking your walk at its finest. And the world needs you to do this.
Need a little more proof I’m not the only one who thinks like this? Please give this AMAZING blog by Michael Hyatt a read too: 3 Reasons You Shouldn’t be Bashful About Selling Your Products.
And now — go ahead, promote yourself here in the comments. What do you do and who do you do it for. Link us up baby — go for it!
Laura Di Franco, MPT is the owner of Brave Healer Productions. She’s a published poet and author, inspirational speaker, holistic physical therapist and third-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do with over two decades of experience in healing. She was born to build a revolution of brave healers who are getting their badass, authentic voices published in order to heal the world with their words. Her new book, Brave Healing, a Guide for Your Journey, is now on Amazon! www.BraveHealer.com is where you can grab a free 30-minute call with her to learn how your story will heal the world.