I am the co-founder of LeafyQuick a same day CBD Delivery service. Our mission at LeafyQuick is to ensure that those who need and can benefit from the use of CBD should be able to get access in an easy and cost effective method.
I don’t want to take anything away from the medicinal needs or uses of CBD. But, I believe it is important to explore new emerging trends within the CBD space such as infusing CBD in cocktails, coffee, food etc. So when I came across a Mixology 102 class focused on CBD infused cocktails, I immediately jumped at the opportunity.
I imagined the experience to be something like that of Tom Cruise from Risky Business, but it was far more educational, informative and overall enlightening experience. I don’t think I could make a living behind a bar after the 2hr class, but I think I did come out with my signature drink:
Ingredients for “The LeafyQuick”:
- 2 oz dry Gin
- 2 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz Cranberry Juice
- 1 oz Celery Root Herbal Liqueur
- 1 oz Prosecco
- 1 oz Honey Syrup (1 part honey and 1 part water)
- A quarter lemon
- 1 full dropper of your favorite CBD unflavored tincture (I used the 1000mg of Summit Oils)
- We used a mason jar to mix and house all the ingredients.
- Start by pouring in your alcohol of choice (tequila, whiskey, vodka or gin) or you can go “no proof” and skip the alcohol all together. I chose Gin as it provided a good base for building up of flavors.
- Mix in juices, liqueur and Prosecco.
- Add Honey Syrup to develop the flavor by adding sweetness to the drink. You can add more or less depending on your palette.
- Muddle a quarter lemon into the drink to help break down the oils that the CBD will bring. If your drink tastes too oily then you may need to add more.
- Last but not least add CBD into the mason jar. This will immediately provide the herbal smell and aroma to your drink. I chose the 1000mg unflavored option, but you can experiment with various potencies and flavors. CBD tinctures come in 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg and higher potencies and flavors such as wintergreen, peppermint, lavender and lemon ginger.
- We then trap the CBD Oil within the drink by adding ice cubes to the mason jar. The trade secret I learnt was that you only need to shake your drink for ~12 seconds as this is the coolest you will be able to get your drink.
- Strain the contents and enjoy “The LeafyQuick”
Cocktails I learnt are best if they play on all five elements of taste perceptions: salty, sour, bitter, sweet and umami. Only recently recognized by western scientist umami the “fifth taste” is a fascinating piece in the jigsaw of our gastronomic evolution.
In class the use of Celery Root Herbal liqueur satisfies this fifth taste to help round out the cocktail.
Hollow Leg, led by Devin Kidner is an amazing navigator through the journey of the five tastes, smells and overall experience. She took a very active interest in each one of our drinks and helped add that extra something that sometimes we lacked.
Devin makes her very own line of bitters that though wasn’t used in “The LeafyQuick” made some of my other drinks in class very interesting and “complex”.
The bitters were so good that I left with two of her most popular flavors: Black pepper and Bourbon Vanilla.
Devin has quite a diverse selection of other bitters that compliment the herbal notes of CBD quite well.
Unlike THC, which is the cognitive component in marijuana, CBD is typically associated with feelings of euphoria and relaxation while alleviating nausea, anxiety, and other physical discomforts (for most, this is a welcomed addition to a cocktail). That being said, it affects everyone differently — the same cocktail may make one person extremely chilled out, while another will feel nothing.
While the amounts of CBD typically being used — usually between 3 and 5 miligrams I believe aren’t enough to provide the reported medicinal benefits, the relaxing effects of a few drops are undeniable. And with the creativity of today’s bartenders, it’s no surprise these feel-good and taste-good CBD cocktails are becoming fast favorites. Not to mention no hangover in the morning either.
I would definitely want to take another class and further hone my skills and palette. Like any other skill, I believe it will get better over time and its fun to experiment with different combinations. The infusion of CBD provides another dimension of flavor and taste that I hope catches on and is offered in more bars and other locations.
LeafyQuick is a hot new CBD Products Delivery company based in Chicago that works with highly trusted CBD brands and local retailers to curate carefully selected products that meet the highest standards. Users can explore a wide selection, check availability, compare prices and reviews before having it delivered to their doorstep all from the comfort of their home at an affordable price.