HCDE Sprint Week #3
By Kara Lee
For this week’s sprint, we were guided to create a mobile app through POP. Given water quality in Puget Sound area as our challenge topic, each of us came up with specific topics and users that might find the challenge topic useful.
I decided my user would be college students and the topic would be amount of bacteria in water.
I wanted my app to allow interaction not only between the user and the app, but also between different users.
With the basic ideas of what I wanted my app to feature, I started drawing different screens on my notebook.
I decided to make the main function of the app to share new bacteria findings with other users. After drawing a rough draft of different screen of my POP app, I started to draw them on index cards to create the app.
Using these index cards, I was able to take pictures of the screens and link each screen to a new screen using the POP app. Below is a short video on how users might utilize my app.
I found the POP app creation process to be more time consuming than I expected. As I kept drawing screens, I felt the need to create more screens for numerous navigation possibilities on each screen. It made me wonder how much time goes into creating complex apps as my app was very simple in comparison. By testing/using my own app, I realized the importance of easy navigation on every screen. I found myself stuck on a screen multiple times because I had forgotten to include home and back buttons. I also had problems in the beginning of the process figuring out how I was going to allow interaction between users. I wanted to allow users to share their opinions and not only their findings. After some brainstorming I decided to add a comment and rating feature.
My opinion on this interaction design project
I enjoyed creating my own POP app because it was something I have not done before and therefore interesting. The fact that I got to create my own app for the topic and the specific users I came up with through low fidelity prototyping was very cool to me. I also liked going through the trial and error process because I was able to find problems of my app on my own and solve the errors or inconveniences I found.