“Kaveri” and me

Last Monday [12th September] around 2.30 PM, I got a call from my sister-in-law mentioning that school buses are not plying so we need to pick our kids from school. Both her son and my daughters are studying in the same school, so called me to check about my plan. I called up the school transportation department and the support person confirmed the same. When I asked isn’t irresponsible and insisted for the reasoning, the response was “Sorry madam, this is the order, we can’t do much”. And within a few minutes I got an SMS requesting the same.

I checked the news channels and realised that things are not going great in Bangalore because of the Kaveri dispute between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. The mobs have taken control of the city, I don’t think they were really concerned about Tamil Nadu or Karanata or the river. There were hardly any action from the Police which resulted in a lot of problems and unnecessary confusions for the public.

Throughout the route to the school [which is only ~ 6 KM] I saw the mob burning tires. I felt scared at that point of time, and then I realised it’s stupid to be afraid. I’ve not done anything wrong, I’ve not supported any immoral activities and I don’t deserve to be afraid.

My daughters were also uncomfortable seeing this and explained them the situation. I also felt bad that I don’t have any convincing answers to their question why the police is not taking the control of the situation.

Things moved on, the next day was a bandh. It didn’t affect us badly except the fact I didn’t get milk in the morning, which I managed to get later in the day. I was working from home as it was recommended not to open the office. The fear of vandalisers is the reason again, but it didn’t affect our work as almost all of us had the setup to work from home.

And it was the previous day of Onam, so the strike allowed me to have a traditional lunch [called the Onasadya] with the family :).

Life moved on again, felt good seeing the Bangalore Police’s proactive and timely support through twitter and other social media. Kaveri didn’t affect me much until last Sunday, 18th September.

We had taken our car to Kerala during the last month and left it there for some reasons. My cousin was driving it back and when he reached Walayar, the Kerala border, the guards at the border mentioned they will not let any KA registration car enter Tamil Nadu because of the current issues. Poor guy, he had to take the car back to his home [~90 Km], and had to return in another Kerala registration car. Look at the logic, not allowing the Karnataka registration vehicles helps to fix the dispute.

Instead of police force controlling the mobs, who might be less than 1% of the population, they are trying to control the rest 99% of people. Isn’t it supporting the violence and encouraging the criminals? I also read in papers and social media that the police escorting the cars at places, maybe my cousin was unlucky on that day.

The situation right now is, according to what is recommended by the police officials to my cousin, we don’t know when can we bring our car back from Kerala. It depends on the verdict on The Kaveri dispute, which is expected to happen in the next few weeks, and whether the politicians decide to leverage it in a violent or a non-violent way. This is what you get as a reward for paying taxes on time and having only hard earned money.

So what needs to be changed? I don’t know. Dancing with fear, as Seth Godin says, might be the solution — but it’s not easy.


I am a person with opinions, but hasn’t used social media for raising my personal opinions against political matters. My writings so far has been about my career and profession, but this time I felt I shouldn’t restrict myself.

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.