- The key point: Mc's Donald is launching a campaign which use gamification in training process. This project was carried out and brought big success. It saved the company roughly £1/2m in direct training costs. Because of understand human bahaviour, Reilly applies these principles to its gamification initiatives. Not only producing 3D game but also board games for customer, which save the expensive costs and but keep the effectiveness. These games attractive people to play with certain purpose of getting knowledge in training process. They are prepared and get ready and confident with their first job. They also tweet it to their friends. In this way, the things that Mc’s Donald has done have created that pull rather than a push.
- The challenges of the case: To develop this gamification in training and developing process. Everything around gamification or at the backend has to be sophisticated enough to get them engaged and want them to come back. Young people — you can’t tell them what to do. So the challenge as a profession is how to create learning that people want to do and go off and do it themselves.
- The key point: This new manager coaching has taken concern on everybody. They really change the company in a right direction. They set a new standard in service and restaurant industry in the aspect of training process. The training has provided an important stepping stone for people’s development within Nando’s. They consider their employee as family and member, create friendly working environment which is not only save the training money but also boost the productivity. The training has helped the company to retain a “family” feel and stay close to its values. All of their programs focus on teamwork spirit and communication which contribute to the improvement of relationship between managers and staff members and they work together as family.
- The challenges of the case: Keep developing and being creative in training program and other tools. Keeping the values and the spirit of the company is essential when it is on the way of expanding larger and larger.
Key concepts, theories and models:
Training and Development: Training is to improve skills and knowledge related to working area. Development is a method to provide ability as well as the skills for future needs.
Challenges in Training: Finding the right way in training which is less costed and more efficient. Can the training solve the problem of the company?
Managing the training process:
Career Development: is an ongoing organized and formalized effort that focuses on developing enriched and more capable workers. It has a wider focus, longer time frame, and broader scope than training. Development must be a key business strategy if an organization is to survive in today’s increasingly competitive and global business environment
Challenges in Career Development: Before putting a career development program in place, management needs to determine who will be responsible for development, how much emphasis on development is appropriate, and how the development needs of a diverse workforce will be met.
Meeting the Challenges of effective development
Career development is a continuing cycle of three phases: an assessment phase, a direction phase, and a development phase. Each phase is an important part of developing the workforce.
In the assessment phase, employees’ skills, interests, and values are identified.
The direction phase involves determining the type of career that employees want and the steps they must take to make their goals a reality.
The development phase involves taking actions to create and increase employees’ skills and promotability.
Self-development: Employees must increasingly take an active role in their own development. To do otherwise is to risk the stagnation and obsolescence( Sources: http://businessjargons.com/training-process.html)
Examples related to the case:
(1) An insight into the Culture and Recruitment Process at Google:
(2) Apple Inc’s training and development program
Apple has also expanded professional development opportunities for workers throughSupplier Employee Education and Development (SEED) program. This Apple-designed program offers workers classes in topics such as finance, computer skills,and the English language(Apple,2012) In addition mentioned in their official website,SEED programs partners with Chinese universities to allow workers to earn associate degrees. The program began as a pilot at Fox Conn‟s facility in Shenzhen and
expanded to all final assembly sites in 2011. Over 60,000 workers have participated, and their evaluation of the program shows that participants have higher morale andare promoted more often than other employees (Apple, 2012). Their entire finalsupplier has onsite e-learning centers like this one in Shanghai.Apple audits their training session to follow up and measure their performance. Forexample, in 2011 they conducted training sessions on preventing underage labor for200 suppliers. This year, their audits of final assembly suppliers found no cases ofunderage labor. While the organization is encouraged by these results, Apple claimsthat they will continue regular audits and go deeper into their supply chain to ensurethat there are no underage workers at any Apple supplier (Apple, 2012)