How to Improve the Check-In Process of a Dance Center – UX Case Study

Planning and Conducting Research

  • Do students consider lines a real problem?
  • Are there any other problems?
  • If the problem is there, are there any workarounds that students are currently using?
A CSD-matrix to organize my assumptions  and articulate the goals of the research
A CSD-matrix to organize my assumptions and articulate the goals of the research
  • analyzed the reviews of the dance center;
  • observed students at the center;
  • conducted interviews with 5 students.
I split the student’s journey into hypothesized stages to better understand the process and design the interview
  • new students,
  • intermediate students,
  • and advanced students.
  1. intermediates are the majority;
  2. attracting new students isn’t the priority;
  3. advanced students are the minority but very loyal. They are OK with almost everything; they feel like the center is their family.

Customer Persona

The primary target user concluded from the research
  1. The dance center organization
    Long lines and time-wasting, classes are continually being canceled or moved, the receptionists are often rude. They don’t know relevant and up-to-date information. People still love their classes and teachers, but the mess is a big sticking point.
  2. Lack of information about classes
    Because of the constant canceling, people forget about their classes. Will there be a class? Who’s teaching? Is it classic dancehall or female today? What should I wear? What moves to review?
    And the big one: what should I do to get that information?
  • text to the dance group chat,
  • call the dance center,
  • contact the teacher.

Customer Journey Map

Customer Journey Map for the Persona

Key Insights & How Might We’s

  • long lines and time waisting;
  • complicated first interaction: website, the first lesson;
  • lack of information about the past and next classes;
  • not pleasant experience interacting with the staff;
  • no way to keep track of changes in the schedule.
How Might We’s (opportunities) that emerged from the problems I found
Prioritization Matrix
  • to help students be on time,
  • to help students know their schedule,
  • to provide information about classes.

Solution Conceptualizing

The results of the brainstorming sessions, already clustered into groups
The storyboarding sketch showing the key path scenario

Minimum Viable Product

  • Check-in by scanning a giant QR code on the wall;
  • See their personal schedule;
  • Have push notifications about changes in a schedule;
  • Pay for their classes in the app: by card or Apple Pay;
  • Get notifications when it’s time to pay.
Features that I selected for the MVP

Information Architecture and First Sketches

Work on Information Architecture in progress
Information Architecture of the app
Rought sketches to find the best interface solution

Wireframes and testing

Rethinking my first batch of wireframes
How I thought it should work. The test participants were confused
How students thought it should work
The “Log in” screen and the 4 main screens of the app

What I Learned

  1. Never start with a solution
    I’d been thinking about this project for a couple of months before joining the course. And if you looked at some of the first notes and sketches I made before working with my mentor, you’d see that I was all about screens and features.
    The trouble is, if you immediately start thinking about solutions, you might end up solving the wrong problem. Which means wasting time and money. We should always validate our assumptions first.
  2. A good idea is rarely your first one
    Don’t get attached to your first ideas, sketches, and interface solutions. The first idea that comes to your mind is not always the best. It’s a good starting point, but it doesn’t have to end there. Think of some other ways to solve the problem.
  3. Wireframes should have content
    Sure, wireframes don’t have to be beautiful. But people simply don’t understand what it is in from of them without content. Content is queen!

Next Steps

  • finish the wireframes for the rest of the scenarios and test them with people who fit the Persona;
  • conduct usability testing in context (in the dance center) and see how it works;
  • polish the UI interactions and create a visual design according to the brand of the dance center;
  • measure the effectiveness of the concept.




Product designer

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

Make Video Calls More Animated with GIPHY Backdrop

Interview with Pratyush — Designers behind Taskworld 2.0

Media Transformation Models #1: Moving through Scales.

TuneIn Radio App Redesign

Project 3: Typography

Project 4: Poster Series

2 skills that make or break product design sketches

sketch of watches with black pen

The Magic Wand Makeover

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Alina Levyshkina

Alina Levyshkina

Product designer

More from Medium

Case Study: The largest community of study abroad aspirants

Canadians helping to-be Canadians in a modern world

Design Thinking Challenge: Citymapper

The pursuit of work/life balance — A UX case study