my AIESEC exchange - getting started.
Where: Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
When: June 12 — July 21, 2017
What: Marketing with INMIRA (working towards women empowerment)
- Digital and photo content creation
- Social media management
Getting accepted to an opportunity took less than a week…
- Signed up with AIESEC at their tabling booth (also can be done through here bit.ly/AIESECform)
- Created my profile on the Opportunities Portal
3. Started applying to opportunities (like 14 of them…)
4. Was contacted by the local committee in Mexico for an interview within 2 days.
5. Was accepted to the opportunity within 2 days after my interview.
6. Paid my application fee ($520), bought plane tickets and sent in my information to the local committee
It’s probably one of the most stress-free and “user-friendly” processes ever, as well as being more cost-effective than other volunteer abroad organisations that I’ve seen. If you’ve been thinking about going abroad for the past few years like I have — what are you waiting for?
I get it, you’re poor. Me too. How did I afford this? Right now, I’m getting a bit of help from my parents but I’m applying to a few funds to pay them back. If funding is your main concern, do your research early! I missed quite a few deadlines because I decided too late that I wanted to go abroad.