Beauty queen Anastasia Lin still being censored despite return to Miss World contest
Changsha native Anastasia Lin, last year’s Miss World Canada, is still facing censorship for her outspoken criticism of China’s human rights record.
Though the Miss World organization has allowed Lin, 26, to represent Canada in this year’s international pageant, her access to the press has been tightly controlled by the organization. Officials even interrupted Lin’s interview with a Boston Globe reporter a few days ago.
Investors in the Miss World organization are mostly Chinese, according to news reports.
Lin was crowned Miss World Canada last year, but China denied her a visa to participate in the international pageant held in Sanya, Hainan. Lin got as far as Hong Kong, but was told a visa to enter mainland China was not available.
Organization officials allowed Lin to represent Canada in this year’s competition, which began last month. The finals will be held tomorrow evening at the MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland.
A practitioner of Falun Gong, a spiritual movement considered dangerous by the Chinese government, Lin had made headlines with her sharp criticism of China’s suppression of Falun Gong, alleging the government was guilty of human rights abuses.
Now, Lin is the star of a film about China forcibly harvesting organs from prisoners, allegations which have further enraged the Beijing government. The Bleeding Edge opened in London in September.
Lin emigrated to Canada at age 13 with her mother. Her businessman father remains in Changsha, and Lin has said he has been harassed and threatened by government officials and the police for his daughter’s criticism of the government.
Lin has been somewhat circumspect in the few interviews she’s been allowed to give so far, but observers wonder whether she will use the stage during Sunday’s pageant to make more forceful remarks about China.
For further details, here are some stories on other media.
Her self-introduction video:
Originally published at Wheat-dogg’s World.