I hear things like “Customer Success is too expensive” or “we don’t have the right technology” as excuses for having a failing Customer Success initiative.
Or “I don’t know where to start” when a company is, well, just starting out.
Well, here are 5 things you can do to improve Customer Success today, no technology, special skills, or additional resources required.
(If you aren’t sure what Customer Success is or want to take your game to the next level, check out my 2017 Definitive Guide to Customer Success.)
Okay, here we go (countdown style)…
5) Close a loop with a customer. What’s one place where you give the customer a result but don’t tell them what to do with it? Tell them what to do with it.
4) Figure out one thing you could do to get proactive; do something for them, let them know this is going to happen, watch for a result and act
3) Orchestrate upsells and advocacy — as well as any changes the customer will need to plan for — early in their relationship with you
2) Agree on Joint Accountabilities with your customer; in order for you to achieve your goal, this is what we’ll do & this is what you’ll do
1) Better manage expectations with your prospects and customers. Let them know what to expect, what they’ll need to do, etc.
In fact, if all you did was better manage expectations with your customers, things would be so much better. Do more of that.
Okay, there were 5 things you can do to improve Customer Success today, no technology, special skills, or additional resources required.
There you go. No excuses.
Lincoln Murphy is a world-renowned Growth Architect, Consultant, Author, and Keynote Speaker. As founder of Sixteen Ventures — and previously leader of Customer Success Evangelism at Gainsight — he’s used Customer Success to drive growth across the entire customer lifecycle for more than 400 SaaS and enterprise software companies over the last decade.
Follow Lincoln on Twitter