How To Shop At A Grocery Store
Shopping for healthy food at the grocery store shouldn’t be expensive or a hassle. People sometimes tell me that healthy food is too expensive, so they buy unhealthy, cheaper food. I’m a firm believer in preventative medicine. Preventing unhealthy weight gain and illnesses should start right now. Below I have listed some tips for you!
1. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Most groceries stores are set up with their produce, meats, poultry, fish, eggs, and milk along the perimeter of the store. Everything else is located in the middle isles, which are typically processed foods.
2. I have been a vegetarian for eight months and I have seen a decrease in my grocery bill. My husband still eats poultry and salmon, but only for dinner some nights. Try limiting the portions of meats and poultry you consume with your meals. This is a great opportunity to fill up on veggies!
3. Some grocery stores sell produce that doesn’t look pretty or should be eaten fairly quickly. This is a great and cheap way to buy produce.
4. If you live near a few grocery stores, you can either shop all of them for specific food items, or do what I do and find the store that has most of the items you like with the cheapest price.
5. Stop buying beverages. You can buy a water filter container and fill it up with your facet water, for free!
6. Don’t buy pre-packaged produce. The fruits and veggies in bags and containers that are already cut or diced for you probably contain added chemicals to preserve the food and cost more.
7. My favorite healthy and cheap items to buy are bananas, beans, eggs, broccoli, rice and oatmeal.
8. Almond and coconut milk last longer than dairy milk. This will save you money if you sometimes let your dairy milk spoil.
9. Read nutrition labels. Foods that are labeled “low calorie” or “low fat” may be fooling you. For example, one popcorn brand may have 7 grams of fat for 4 cups of popcorn, while another brand may advertise 5 grams of fat for only 1 cup of popcorn. Clearly, the 7 grams of fat popcorn brand allows you to enjoy more of it.
10. Shop for groceries when you’re not hungry. If you shop hungry, you’re more likely to buy more food than you need or unhealthy foods that you’re craving.
Happy grocery shopping friends!