Activated Charcoal | AKA Black Magic
Activated charcoal is a type of carbon that has been processed to enhance its adsorption (yes, AD-sorption) properties by increasing its porosity. Adsorption is a chemical reaction where elements bind to a surface. Its adsorption properties and large surface area allows it to bind to toxins and safely remove them from your body and/or environment. Just to illustrate how large of a surface area, one gram of activated charcoal is equivalent to 5400 sqft, which is one heck of a large house if you visualize it! Because of its incredible surface area, charcoal can bind to other substances that are thousands of times its own weight.
Skin Benefits of Using Activated Charcoal
- Eliminates body odor
- Treats acne
- Soothes itchiness from insect, mosquito, and spider bites
- Relieves irritation from rashes, snake bites, poison ivy, bee stings
- Treats dandruff & soothes dry itchy scalp
- Detoxifies and cleanses skin
- Removes excess build-up of oils, dirt, and other toxins in your hair and scalp
- Promotes a healthy digestive tract
- Whitens teeth
- Prevents cellular damage to kidneys and liver
- Supports healthy adrenal glands
- Improves cognitive function — reduces brain fog
- Lowers bad cholesterol
- Treats drug overdose & other poisons that are ingested orally
- Alleviates gas & bloating
- Filters tap water
Have you tried activated charcoal yet? What was your experience? Please comment below!
Originally published at lipaniskincare.com on February 24, 2016.