Off Page SEO Secrets: Link Building Tips And Tactics
Though content is still king with the search engines, linking building also called off page SEO still plays a big part in increasing and maintaining long-term website rankings. If you follow Google and/or industry media outlets backlink building has become something to be feared and discouraged. Google’s standpoint on link building is to focus on creating quality content, by doing so it will allow your website to acquire links naturally. Though this is sound advice, realistically this process takes time and requires a great deal of high quality content to be published on a consistent basis.
Let’s face it, most businesses lack the time and resources to crank out high quality content on a regular basis. So the dilemma that many businesses face is how do to create a natural looking backlink profile that will increase their website trust, authority and rankings? In this article I’m going to share my proven 3 step link building strategy. Please note that in order for these off page SEO tactics to be effective it’s important to have a properly optimized website.
For on page SEO optimization tips read “6 Ways To Optimized Your Website To Improve Your Search Engine Rankings And Make Google Happy”
3 Steps to Building a Natural Back Link Profile that will Improve your SEO
Step 1 — Build a Circle of Trust
Think of your website as the center point of a wheel and the sites that link to your site spokes in that wheel. The first step of off page SEO is building a circle of trust around your website. This acts like a protective layer or padding of high authority domains that are trusted by the search engines.
Create the Web 2.0 profiles and directory listings:
- Social Media pages and profiles: Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Media sharing sites: YouTube, DailyMotion, Flickr
- Citation/directory listing: Yelp, Google maps and business profile
Step 2 — Syndicate Your Content
If you are publishing content or blogging syndicating your post is one of the easiest ways to build backlinks, increase your readership and acquire new links from other bloggers. Though there are several paid tools available on the market to help speed up this process, manually syndicating your content is really quite simple and easy process. It does take time in beginning to set up accounts and profiles, once you have a system in place it will become a easy and quick process.
Here are some sites to post your URLs:
- Social bookmarking websites: Tumblr, Reddit, Stumble upon
- Blog publishing platforms: LinkedIn Long form post, Medium and WordPress
- Curation sites: Scoop it, Pearl trees and Pinterest
- Content aggregators: Bizsugar and GrowthHackers
Step 3 — Build Powerhouse Backlinks
Guest posting and blog mentions are two of the most effective ways to really juice up your website and boost your rankings. Once you created a circle of trust around your website you then focus on acquiring guest posting and blog mentions backlinks.
- Guest posting — research and build relationships with editors of high authority websites and blogs that are in the same or related industry.
- HARO — Help a Report out is a website that connects journalist and publishers with industry experts and business owners. HARO is a great tool to use in order to get backlinks, PR and targeted traffic to your website.
Despite what Google and the media circles might lead the public to believe link building is not dead. The key to getting great off page SEO results is by creating a natural looking backlink profile. This means getting real links from real industry related websites. Keep in mind that not all links are created equal. Focus on building quality links not quantity by finding link building opportunities that make sense for your website, business, product or service.
Originally published at paradigmshiftseo.com on June 1, 2015.