A home for New Music in the heart of Queens
Next week, Random Access Music presents the eighth Queens New Music Festival at Long Island City’s Secret Theater.
Fourteen years ago a collective of composers and musicians formed a coalition enabling them to create music in a more collaborative way and provide opportunities not only for composers to create, but also for accomplished musicians to perform new music.
What started out as the vision of a few artists became Random Access Music (or, RAM), a Queens-based new music collective whose yearly output includes an annual three-concert season and culminates in the Queens New Music Festival (QNMF).
The contribution to the art form is immense. RAM is one of the most active new music consortiums in the United States.
The four-day QNMF is designed to bring new music front and center to the Queens community. In 2014, RAM formed a regular list of musicians committed to performing its season each year. The resulting contribution to the art form is immense. RAM is one of the most active new music consortiums in the United States. The output is consistently aesthetically diverse and the consortium presents regularly throughout the year with the sole purpose of performing the music of living composers.
Next week, RAM will present the eighth Queens New Music Festival at the Secret Theater in Long Island City. The festival reflects the vibe of the borough, drawing comparisons between music that is native to the US, and that of cultures from across the planet.
The New York City borough of Queens is by far the nation’s most ethnically diverse. the US Census Bureau reported in 2013 that just 52% of Queens residents were born in the US.
It is an important point of difference in RAM’s commitment to mirroring the identity of its home borough. The New York City borough of Queens is by far the nation’s most ethnically diverse. New York City’s second largest of its five boroughs by population, the US Census Bureau reported in 2013 that just 52% of Queens residents were born in the US — the remaining 48% were born overseas. In Queens, no one ethnicity represents more than 50% of the population, a fact RAM seeks to recreate in the aesthetic diversity of its presentation.
The 2019 Queens New Music Festival kicks off May 14 with performances by Carpe Diem String Quartet. It runs through to May 19.
More information, tickets, and multi-day discounted festival passes can be found at the newly launched QNMF website: queensnewmusicfestival.org
The 2019 Queens New Music Festival is supported by Affetto records, BoroHotel, Aloft Hotel, Beebe's Restaurant and NYC Ferries. Find out more about the organization at https://www.ram-nyc.org/about