Tired of using browsers for everything? Us too 😅
🤼♂️ Web vs App
A lot of our users have asked when a mobile app version of Lockeroom is likely to be released. This is really awesome to hear, for two reasons:
- It highlights that some users like our product but find using a web browser less efficient. This helps us because we can then solve problems which create this feeling 👨🔬
- This suggests that some users might like Lockeroom to live on their device, which we like to think means we’re doing something right! 🥳
Whilst building a dedicated iOS or Android app is something we definitely want to do, we aren’t likely to get to this point for a while. So we found another way.
🖥️ Converting websites into mobile apps📱
Thanks to some tidy engineering work, we have created a way to experience Lockeroom as a mobile app:
- you get a Lockeroom app icon on your mobile Homescreen, so that you can get to your matches more quickly 🐎
- Lockeroom will open in full screen (instead of in a browser), so that it is easier to use and a more relaxing experience 💆♀️
We asked one of our users, Alex, to try this out for us and check everything worked. Happily, Alex confirmed what we had hoped:
Awesome feedback. We asked Alex to send us some screenshots to compare his experience with our own and to share with users.
These screenshots should give you some idea of how this would work. If you would like to use Lockeroom in this way, keep reading to find out how to get it on your own device 🙋
We don’t want to stop here — there’s more to add:
- Offline mode — use Lockeroom even when you’re in a network black spot in deepest, darkest Cornwall
- Notifications — so you can remind yourself on Friday to wash your kit before the match
These functions are slightly more complex, so we want to tackle them when we go full-time on Lockeroom, but we are really keen to get on to them 👨🚀
More on Progressive Web Apps
This feature is possible because we are currently building Lockeroom as a Progressive Web App, or PWA for short.
If you are interested in PWAs, there are plenty of examples at Appscope which is an app store dedicated to PWAs 🚀