Home Buying Final Walkthrough Checklist
Your final walkthrough is extremely integral to the home buying process, ensuring the home has been repaired as you and the seller have agreed upon.
You’ve already checked the inspection off the list and if anything was concerning or needed repair, it should have already been addressed between your realtor, the seller, and their agent.
The walkthrough simply confirms that all of the agreed requests for remedy that came out of the inspection have been handled properly.
When you attend your final walk through you should come prepared with two important items. First, your contract. Your contract will contain all necessary information regarding what your seller needs to remedy and what fixtures they have agreed to leave. Second, bring a checklist of items to inspect and look into during your final walkthrough.
Do the to-dos.
- Check your contract. Make sure all items and fixtures that the seller has agreed to leave behind are in the home.
- Switch all light fixtures ON/OFF.
- Open and close all doors and cabinets.
- Make sure garbage disposal is working.
- Test all appliances.
- Turn heat and air conditioning ON/OFF.
- Check the outlets in the home by bringing your cell phone and charger.
- Make sure the fireplace works by testing the gas and pilot light.
- Flush all toilets.
- Run water in all showers, sinks, and bathtubs—make sure they drain effectively.
- Check for leaks under sinks, around toilets & bathtubs.
- If possible, test all locks to ensure they are working properly.
- Test to see if your garage door opens & closes.
- Visually inspect all walls, floors, and ceilings for any damage or cracks.
- Open all closets and storage spaces to ensure nothing has been left behind.
- Check the status of all agreed upon repairs and make sure they have been made and are in working order.
- Walk around the property to make sure landscaping and exterior is as you’ve expected it.
If you find anything out of working order or something unexpected, make sure to immediately show this to your real estate agent and address it with them.
It may take a little extra time to be thorough, but the final walkthrough is worth your time and effort to avoid unexpected surprises and unwanted costs later after move in.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave us a comment!