Was 2016 the worst year ever? Only If you want it to be.
There’s been a narrative so loud about 2016 being the worst year ever that even I can’t ignore it.
The low information diet can’t avoid the fuss about this one. Some people are calling it the worst year ever.
Well, let’s clarify, the worst year of their lives. At least I’m hoping. I sure hope people do not realistically think 2016 is the worst year in human history. If you think that, kindly check that all the screws up in your head are not loose.
- Sure, we did see the passing of numerous larger than life figures. Losing Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, and Prince, three influential artists that I have a great deal of admiration for, all in the same year was quite sad timing.
- Sure, if you follow the media narrative, Trump in the White House spells the mark of the end times. People were literally shaking. Many celebrities made it clear (at least for that time) that they’re leaving America (and I’m sure none of them will follow up with that).
- Brexit happened. People were surprised that this happened, but of course, it was the silent majority that made the decision, just like the case with Trump/Clinton.
- Harambe died. As a result, one of the strangest memes was born.
These are just a few examples of what people point to for 2016 being the worst year ever.
Ask yourself this question though…
How much of the above really impacted you directly?
- Does Trump being in The White House impact your day to day life? If Hilary got in, would everything have been magically better? Would their be constant rainbows and unicorns everywhere?
- What about Brexit? How much does that impact you directly? If you answered “yes” to this, I apologize.
Did you let things like the above make 2016 the worst year of your life?
Yes, depending on where you live, you may have had a vote in how these turned out, but otherwise, these were outside of your control.
Let me repeat that again: They were outside of your control.
If only I wrote 5 more 5000 word posts that were Anti-Trump…he would have lost…
So yes, depending on who you are, you may or may not be disappointed with the outcomes, but you need to let it go.
Look to what YOU did with 2016. NOT THE MEDIA. Was it the worst year of YOUR life?
- Did you persevere despite the image the media liked to paint of the year, and live a good life?
- Did you realize that living well was the best revenge?
- What kind of impact did you make on those around you? Your family? Your friends?
- What relationships did you grow this year? Did you end ones that were not nourishing for you? What new relationships started?
- What did you add to your life that improved your life? Did you devote more time to a passion of yours, or discover a new passion altogether?
- What kind of art, or work, did you create? Did you share your work with others?
- What fat did you trim with your life, whether literally or figuratively?
Or, maybe it was the best, despite what the media likes to say.
Don’t let the media dictate how your 2016 was, or any year.
Tune it out, and tune into sources that you find encouraging and cause you go grow. Live your life, and live well. If 2016 was a bad year for you, just let it go. Don’t worry about the year, it’s the years that count. Live well on a daily basis, on a weekly basis, filter out the noise, and move forward with your life.
So, it’s up to you. You can say Fuck 2016, or Fuck what people said about 2016.
Originally published at www.ideaswithpaul.com on December 7, 2016.