Another chapter in our flightSpeak Adventure
Airports are magical places — beyond the sights, sounds, and smells…in the heart of the hustle and bustle, are people. People with hopes, fears, and dreams — and with each flight, take one step closer to reaching the destinations that matter so much to them. We’re so humbled to be working on something that affects the lives of so many people around the world.
We just launched our newest version of flightSpeak. It was a labor of love, talking to travelers, airports, and airport businesses. We designed, built, tore down, redesigned, and re-re-designed. Our goals were simple — help travelers find the information they need to make their time at the airport easier, and assist airports in serving up that information easily to drive greater levels of customer satisfaction.
Here’s what we came up with:
The two images show the flightSpeak home screen experience for the SEA (Seattle Tacoma International Airport) and YVR (Vancouver International Airport). The app currently covers over 300 airports and over 50,000 stores in 16 countries, so you should be able to easily locate a major airport near you.
What We Added
Here a quick summary of what we added to make your airporting experience much less stressful and more interesting with flightSpeak:
- Launching a feature called “CheckPoint”: Travelers we interviewed demanded this as the next feature we build, as security wait times are the largest unknown before you get to the airport. We hunkered down on research (still ongoing!) and built a unique algorithm to predict what your time will look like — using a combination of crowdsourcing and machine learning.
- Introducing “Traveler Modes”: Business travelers want information incredibly quickly and to the point. Leisure travelers want to explore all that the airport has to offer. We built the ability to switch modes to help business travelers find what they’re looking for , and leisure travelers (who have more time), explore airport resources. The “Just for Family” section in Leisure traveler mode has many of our travelers very excited.
- Highlighting Special Services: This section contains information on wheelchair resources, medical resources, TTY access, and Interpreters. Quite a few airports don’t have these all yet, but they’re working to get these to you (and helping us update our information as well!)
- Elevating Twitter: Many airports work hard in communicating to travelers via Twitter. We elevated their feeds, so you can pick up information directly from the airport. Note that you don’t have to be following the airport on twitter for this — so it’s a helpful place to find construction updates, entertainment information, and general airport updates.
- Building a Community: Travel is not just about our destinations, but also about the people we share it with along the way. We’re seeing our flightSpeak community grow — and you can join in! How? 3 easy ways: Leave a helpful tip for your airport, post a photo or travel story in the Gallery, and leave a rating/review of the airport. The community will thank you for it!
We hope our newest release helps you airport much more effortlessly…and make this important airport segment of your travel journey pain free.
A huge THANK YOU to all our airport partners who helped us shape our thinking and challenged us to reach higher. We couldn’t have done it without you.
Safe travels, Fun airporting, and Happy Thanksgiving, from our house to yours.
On behalf of the entire team at flightSpeak,