So, I have taken the first step and decided to fiddle the idea of programming, now what?
First and foremost, I would like you to answer yourself the question of “WHY?”.
Many people dive straight into learning without even knowing why they are doing so. I mean, people often don’t have a clue of what they want to do with this newly learned skill after they completed the course. They just thought they needed the knowledge.
This is essentially important in my point of view as it could waste a vast amount of energy and time when studying for the wrong cause. So, please take a pause and think about how you are going to use what you are about to learn.
Allow me to demonstrate why knowing how to use your knowledge is crucial before knowing them.
There are different programming languages on the market because they are designed for different types of works. The subject of programming actually covers many different fields and each field involves a different working environment, different language and design flow. For example,
- If you are interested in mobile app development, you would be better off learning Objective-C, swift (for Apple platform) or Java (for android platform).
- If desktop software is your thing, then C, C++, .Net could be your choice.
- If you fancy the idea of building websites, then perhaps PHP is your scope of learning.
- If you like to stay ahead of the web development trend and be at the edge of the technology, then perhaps at the time of this writing, React, Vue.js, Web Assembly is your target.
- If you want to be a hardcore developer and wanting to build hardware drivers, 3D graphics, or even robots. You may want to check out C, or Python.
- If you are furious about A.I. taking your jobs and seeking vengeance, then Python is surely your weapon of choice.
It is important to know that you don’t need to master everything that’s out there. People with a clear understanding of their field of work often are experts in a few languages and super effective at what they work on.
As you can see, knowing the field of work helps you set your career path before you blindly decide to learn anything you find on the internet. Take a moment, find out what interests you and pick a field to learn.
After all, it is a joy to work on something you are passionate about and for an industry you are interested in.