Contributions Governance System Road-map
Fermat governance is divided in two halves. The first one is about the governance of mining, the second one is about the governance of contributions. Today I will focus on the second half.
Contributions Governance System
These days we are releasing version 1 of our contributions governance system. This version is good enough for the next phase of the project. Any community member can contribute using the new Fermat Contribution App to submit Contribution Contracts to the system. Anyone using the new Fermat Voting App will be able to vote if they want that contract to be executed or not. We are innovating here in many aspects since as far as I know, no other crypto-project has a governance system exactly like this one. During the next months we will collect feedback on its usage and monitor it for abuses. I expect that after some months we will upgrade it with changes based on feedback.
As we move forward towards a large decentralized organization, this version 1 will become obsolete. That is why we are already thinking about a version 2, with the following improvements:
- Reputation Based: Version 1 is about voting power based on token holdings. This is fine for the current phase of the project, but as the project and its ecosystem grow, it will start attracting the attention of bigger players with huge financial resources. Before that happens, we need to move forward to version 2, were besides token holdings, reputation is also used to compute the voting power. The most advanced research we found so far in this area was produced by Backfeed and you can learn about it here.
- Accommodating Diversity: Version 1 fits the current stage of the project very well where even though we will have Contribution Contracts, we don’t expect hundreds of them in the very short term. But once we grow, it will be natural that the community starts separating themselves into different interest groups. Version 2 should be flexible enough to accommodate for diversity and allow these groups to thrive and self govern in their own context.
- Rewarding Spontaneous Contributions: Version 1 is more about projects. Project proposals are submitted, discussed and later voted. If approved, a Contribution Contract is executed and the payments are distributed by the blockchain towards the beneficiaries. This is fine for this phase because we are heavily under construction. At some point it will make a lot of sense to reward spontaneous contributions based on the perception of the community of their value. In this category fall bug fixes, good ideas, or any small-medium action in general that adds value to the project.
We are currently in open talks with the people at backfeed, and we might collaborate in the implementation if we end up using their protocol. In a few months they will be releasing a reference implementation of their protocol on Ethereum branded as DAOStack.
The road-map of our Contributions Governance System is:
- Deploying Token Server v.3.0.1 (IoP Core): Currently underway. Project executed by Rodrigo Acosta with the help of Matias Furszyfer.
- Deploying Android Contribution App: Version 1 is ready, waiting for the IoP Core v.3.0.1 to be a clear majority on the mining network. This app was entirely developed by Matias Furszyfer.
- Deploying Android Voting App: Version 1 is ready, waiting for the IoP Core v.3.0.1 to be a clear majority on the mining network. This app was also entirely developed by Matias Furszyfer.
- Security Audit of IoP Core: We expect to receive proposals from specialized cyber security firms to audit the work done at the blockchain level to process Contribution Contracts. We understand that this is a very sensible part of the whole system and must be audited extensively.
- Professional Redesign of UX/GUI: We understand that the apps developed don’t have a sleek user experience design and user interface yet. They are just a reference implementation. We are happy to receive proposals for a professional redesign of both the user experience and user interface, together with the implementation of the changes or the implementation separated in a different project. This new redesign must accommodate the results of our Marketing Strategy Plan that is currently under development.
- Implementing iOS Contribution App v.1: This is an open project which won’t involve the current core devs. Anyone in the community can submit a project proposal for the development of this app. My recommendation is that you wait for a while until the corresponding Android app is used and real life usage feedback is incorporated on it. Also, it should come after the professional redesign of the UX/GUI.
- Implementing iOS Voting App v.1: Exactly the same situation as 4). Open project for anyone to propose.
- Android Contribution and Voting Apps v.2: In version 2 we convert both apps into IoP Apps (they upload profiles to Profile Servers and communicate with each other directly) and we eliminate the usage of a centralized forum. This project depends on the IoP SDK to be released. Open project for anyone to propose.
- iOS Contribution and Voting Apps v.2: Same as 6) with the iOS apps. Open project for anyone to propose.
Thanks to Amadeo Charlé for the editing.
If you are interested in learning more about this technology, this list might help you:
- “Fermat, the Internet of People and the Person to Person Economy.”
The Internet of People architecture dissected.
- “Introducing the Graphchain.”
The cryptographically secured data structure we use to store profiles and their relationships.
- “Introducing Redtooth”
Like Bluetooth with global range.
- “The Profile Server.”
The cornerstone software of the Internet of people.
- “The Location Based Network.”
The geo-located network that help other services to be geo-localized.
A bit about me: I am a systems architect who started his career designing and building banking systems. Later I turned into an entrepreneur. Three years ago I learned about bitcoin and decided I would use the underlying technology to fix the biggest problem we have as humans: “unlimited concentration of power”.