Things I want Google Home to do
There is a lot to love about Google Home, but there are a few major irks too. This is my short list.
- Switch audio output devices seamlessly. “Ok Google, keep playing on <device name>”.
- Remember what device I was streaming to and keep playing on that when a new request comes in.
- Let users change the assistant volume independently to other media.
- Switch contexts better. If I am playing music and I ask about my day, then i want to go back to music easily and not have to wait for the NPR news of the day to be over. Maybe there is a command for this, but I don’t know it. I have to start playing all over again.
- Be more proactive, to a fault. I’d love Google Home to ask more questions and learn even more. I know that some people will fear this, but what use is an assistant if it doesn’t know everything?
- Better interact with the things on my phone (and my phone in general). Simple things like “Ok Google, get me directions to <place> and send it to my phone” should be relatively straightforward. Maybe this can be something an (Android?) app developer can bundle through an Actions API/Kit?
- Fix the damn shopping list.