UXDI Project 1 — Prototypes

DIT- Let’s do it Together! Rethinking the DIY APP

My first week at General Assembly is done and I am still alive. Our first project was to create an app prototype and present it, we had 1 week to complete it but it was more so 3 full days.

Project 1 was introduced Monday and finished and Presented by Friday. The Project was produced within the week with these steps:

Step 1: Research

Step 2: Analysis

Step 3: Iteration and Prototyping

Research:

Problem- I am exploring an app that will focus on DIYs-(Do it yourself projects). I wanted to reevaluate how a user’s experience on a DIY platform could be improved.

We were required to interview and I had sets of semistructured open ended questions that could stimulate conversation like…

What has your DIY experience been like?

What kind of planning goes into your DIY projects?

Do you have any issues when you craft or do DIY projects?

I interviewed fellow classmate Sade, she had issues with DIY’s and how inefficient some platforms can be. She felt like she would get stuck in a searching vortex and have a hard time finding a DIY that catered to her needs. Along with Sade, I interviewed 4 other classmates who were apprehensive about doing projects for various reasons.

Step 2. Analysis

My findings showed that users really had a hard time with DIY platforms being too impersonal and there was such a lack of specification with browsing. Many users would avoid doing DIY’s because they did not have the time, cost too much money, and sometimes were just too hard.

Insights:

Diyers have a hard time finding projects that can accommodate their needs and lifestyles- Difficulty, Time, and Cost being the 3 major factors.
Some users lack inspiration and can be intimidated by tasks that the DIY’s require.
Diy’s have a large bounce rate-there are times the DIY content does not align with directions(misdirection in a sense) and Diyers give up.

Affinity maps were such a great way to map out ideas and see the common themes that were common within the task at hand.

Design Principles:

Step 3: Iteration and Prototyping

This was the last piece of the puzzle for our project we had to put all of these words into work. How could we translate the insights and design principles into our prototype? We had to translate them onto workable prototypes bringing these thoughts to life.

I had way too many ideas in my head for this project so many that it was all over my place. I thought about the littlest things and lost sight of the features.

I got a little too detail oriented just thinking about doing my sketches

Things were going better progressively, I was focussing on my features but still had too many thoughts for a first prototype that really needed to pinpoint the issues at hand.

Here we have it!

My final prototype with all of the problems addressed:

-A browser that is more catered to the user’s personal needs

-Detailed instructions that users can follow along step by step

-Platform where users can share their craft and not feel intimidated by others, where they can be encouraged to finish their project from start to finish with a support system- even upload their own

Takeaway:

Insights, Design Principles, and Iterations… What?!? These were words that had no meaning to me at the beginning of this project but now that I’m starting to grasp these ideas, my thinking is starting to change. Learning how to restructure my thinking was such a shock to me, it has opened up my thought process in a different manner. I have a background in social science which definitely aided my research skills but thinking about social-design is a totally different feature.

Next Steps for the Future:

Based on the feedback that I received from Shilpa, John, and Emma I will definitely strive to create prototypes that follow the KISS rule(Keep it simple, stupid!) in order to keep my audience focused on my product and keep everything cohesive. I found that I had extra fluff that was unnecessary and just end up being time-wasters and redundant. Next time just let the prototype just speak for itself!