Psychiatrist — Mood swings and other symptoms of Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder is a mental disorder that is characterized by dramatic fluctuations in a person’s mood, thoughts and activity levels. Also known as manic depressive disorder, it leaves the patient with an inability to finish regular daily tasks.If left untreated the symptoms gets worse and may ruin the functioning of one’s relationships, career prospects, personal life and health or even lead to suicide. With this chronic disease people become extremely erratic or euphoric; as such their moods range from high to low or very happy to really depressed. The severity of this disorder largely varies from person to person and it can have damaging effects if not adequately treated. But if you find the right psychiatrist in pune, the treatment of the symptoms and with alteration in lifestyle and behavior, bipolar disorder can be managed.
Causes of bipolar disorder:
· Environmental factors such as sexual or physical abuse, childhood trauma, significant loss or mental stress.
· Traumatic head injuries, specific brain structures, damage to brain tissue, brain-chemical imbalance
· If it runs in the family or owing to heredity
· Hormonal imbalances prompt or cause bipolar disorder
· Stressful events and heavy mental stress could also be a cause
Symptoms of bipolar disorder:
During the mania or emotional high period the symptoms range from:
· Inflated self confidence or very high self esteem
· Racing thoughts and sudden bizarre ideas
· Engaging in random spending sprees, drug usage and sexual behavior
· They experience excited, impulsive and euphoric emotions
During depression or low period the symptoms experienced include:
· Lack of sleep
· Loss of energy and lack of interest in activities
· Depression and hopelessness
· Mania or hypomania
· Suicidal thoughts
· Guilt and anxiety
You may consult the top psychiatrist in kolkata who will be able to effectively diagnose your condition and treat your condition.
A series of physical diagnostic tests like blood and urine tests. The symptoms must last for over a week or cause the person to be hospitalized. Patient must meet at least 5 symptoms from the criteria list. With consultation and therapy psychiatrist can diagnose a patient.
Types of bipolar disorders:
· Bipolar 1: Patients who have experienced at least one manic and one depressive episode
· Bipolar 2: One or more episodes of manic and depressive type and at least one hypomania episode
· Cyclothymiacs: It is a milder form of bipolar disorder, the patient presents mild symptoms of mania and depression but does not meet the criteria for major depressive episodes
Hospitalization; though not commonly used today, it could reach an extreme stage. Lithium carbonate is a commonly prescribed drug as well. Typically the treatment period usually lasts for over 6 months.
Anti-convulsions and anti-psychotics are prescribed in some cases.
Psychotherapy helps alleviate the root problems and aids in working though these issues. Cognitive behavioral therapy has been effective in preventing relapses in severe episodes. Self-management strategies and lifestyle changes are also prescribed by professionals.