VR puzzler Interactive Game
This article describes the process to make a puzzler VR game Whitch it the forth project of the Udacity VR Developer Nanodegree.
let`s start by the final form of the game
1. Develop the Project/Game Idea
Imagine that You are imprisoned in that Dungeon and the only way to escape is solving this Puzzle.
I developed this game for my little sister Marwa as well as for family members and friends.
Marwa love the ideation games and live VR experiences.
3. Sketch the Environment
I needed to build a sketch before building it at Unity.
4. Considering Ergonomics
such that what angles the user will be able to view the target objects, what distance from these objects should be considered, and what type of fonts and text size should be used to render sharp and clear messages in the VR space.
5.Build the Scene
First I built the environment aroud the Dungeon.It feels User that she is in desert .
then I built the Dungeon
I made many user test on the size of the door and resize it twice .
Lighting is very important.
The feedback from the user was to much light Compared to the Dungeon.
I reduced the light to make it Appropriate.
Another Feedback was I feel that I am shorter.
I found that Putting the camera at 1.7m is Appropriate.
and take an other feedback.
6.Making a Graphical user Interface
Sketching the UI first then Build it .
7.Choose Motion Mechanics
Be carful when moving the User in VR.if the motion is very fast ,the User may have simlator sickness.
8.Final User Test
I tested the motion part many times with many user till I reach to acceptable move.
I asked the User about the hight of orbs and the feedback was to reduce the hight little.
Breakdown of the Final Piece
- the User clicks the start button then The game will move him into the room and the orbs will appear and start flashing in a random order.
2. The user must click on the orbs in the same order after they stop flashing. If the sequence is wrong, an error sound will be played and the orbs will flash again in the same order.
3. If the user clicks in the right order he will be moved outside the dungeon to find a congratulating UI and a note to restart the game.
4. If he clicks the restart button, he will be moved back to the initial position to start the game again.
Designing in VR is a very Accurate process. I have learned some considerations are very important to pay attention to such as scale, viewing angles, distance, lighting, motion, UI text clarity, and the iterative process of user testing and using feedback to improve your target user VR experience.
Remimber : The User isn`t you.
What is next
I will repeat the steps of this design in all coming projects.
My third project The Maze