Ran a sale on Friday, made $700+ bucks.
This is a post about how I used robora to make $700 in a weekend — in an industry I know nothing about.
I woke up one fateful Friday morning and decided I wanted to give Adwords a spin.
To make some money!
Adwords is cool. With my poorly optimized campaign, for every dollar I gave them I got $3.50 back.
Without further ado...
1. Come to Terms that E-commerce stores are OVERKILL when it comes to running a sale.
Imagine you are running a sale on a hot item and customers are very eager to buy. You’ve got to ask yourself two very important questions…
- How many clicks does it take to complete the transaction, AND
- Can a potential customer get distracted?
Chances are, if you answered yes to any of the questions above … you’ll miss out on lots of sales.
Anytime I run a sale, I always send people to a landing page where the ONLY THING you can do is buy — no signing up, no going to the homepage, no haphazardly browsing other products — just whipping out your credit card and buying.
2. Find a HOT product.
The data is there, staring you right in the face.
Finding a hot product is not hard. If you have an e-commerce store its easy. Just ask your customers, or look at historical sales data.
If you don’t have an e-commerce store, Amazon Best Sellers and Google Trends are your friends. The goal is to try and find things that are being discussed heavily and either sell those things OR create a product around those things.
Example: #LoveWins was a trending topic on the internets a few weeks back. Create a product around that. T-shirts and flags are the first thing that come to mind.
3. Get the word out!
When it comes time to get the word out, its crucial to do 3 things:
- Build up anticipation with a definitive start date.
- Build scarcity with limited quantities.
- Give gentle reminders throughout the duration of the sale that supplies are running out and the sale is only for a limited time. (remind them 3+ times .. beginning, middle, and last day of sale.)
I don’t have an e-commerce store, but If I did I would use these channels to get the word out:
- Your Newsletter
If you want to buy traffic, like I did for my $700 weekend extravaganza, I highly recommend Google Adwords. Facebook is hard to convert as people aren’t there to buy. YMMV.
The cool thing about running the sale on robora is the built in free retargeted advertising.
What does “retargeted advertising” mean?
If the traffic you send to a robora sales page abandons the sale, we can bring them back via free ads on Facebook.
4. Finding Suppliers
When the sales start to trickle in, now its time to start figuring out how you’ll fulfill the orders. Skip this part if you already have a product.
Here are some tricks I use to find suppliers:
- Message an eBay Powerseller and tell them you’d like to buy a wholesale lot,
- Find suppliers on sites like Alibaba, or
- Buy them retail — last resort
Give people what they want, find them when they need your product the most, and make it really easy for them to buy it. You’ll get handsomely rewarded.
You can tweet me at @malcolmtyson if you have any questions.