UW HCDE 598 — Digital Fabrication Assignment 4: Moving Parts — Lights, Camera, Make!

José Lara
May 5 · 4 min read

For this assignment, I decided to create my own basic clapperboard.

I like movies, so this is a cool desk toy that I can build myself — an entertaining if it has a nice “clack” to it.

I started with a design similar to the one shown on the Wikipedia page, making the top part of the clapperboard first — a simple rectangle with a hole for the fastener. I added a fillet to the rectangle so that the top part of the board can rotate freely from 0 to 90 degrees vertically. Note that the fillet circle is concentric to the fastener hole.

I created two different holes — one for the full diameter of the fastener head (as a reference), and one for the fastener body, the latter of which would be used in the final cutting.

I then created the bottom part of the clapperboard — using two holes so that the upper part would stay in place snugly.

After the two main parts, I created a plate that would connect both.

After the components were outlined, I extruded the parts, and played a bit with the shading to see how this would work on the final clapperboard — all seemed to work.

After all the measures were in place, I deleted the larger circles so that only the smaller holes — would remain.

I imported Joshua’s model of the fastener, and created the logic for the connectors, and placed the fastener into my model.

I configured the limits to validate that the rotating motion looked good:

With all these details, I exported the sketches to DXF to cut out in cardboard first.

The laser cutter settings for cutting the cardboard were: speed 50%, power=100%, frequency 100%.

Then used the same vectors for acrylic.

https://malvenko.github.io/HCDE598SP19/A4-assets/A4_acrylic.mp4

The laser cutter settings for cutting the acrylic were the same as last time: speed 8%, power=100%, frequency 100%.

The outcome of the acrylic cut was pretty nice.

After some light assembly

Both prototypes looked quite nice, and had a great “clack”.

The acrylic version was a bit wobblier than the cardboard one, so as a next iteration, I’d prob make the circles smaller so that the fasteners sit tighter.

Source files for the clapperboard:

Welcome to a place where words matter. On Medium, smart voices and original ideas take center stage - with no ads in sight. Watch
Follow all the topics you care about, and we’ll deliver the best stories for you to your homepage and inbox. Explore
Get unlimited access to the best stories on Medium — and support writers while you’re at it. Just $5/month. Upgrade