I think this may be my favourite piece from any film ever, and i’m so glad it was bought to prominence by Paolo Nutini. Each word is so powerful, so beautiful and, perhaps most important, is that it is so true. It was true in 1940 and it remains true in 2016.

Here we stand in 2016, 71 years on from the end of world war II. A war that was considered perhaps the lowest point in in modern day humanity, at least in the western world. It would be ignorant to suggest that we have not moved on from those dark days — days that must never be forgotten, however it would be naive to suggest that we are even close to a Utopian world that we surely wish to exist in. We still live in a capitalist world, a greedy world, a hate filled world. We live in a world whereby people are still targeted for their race, their religion or even their sexual orientation. We live in a world where the ‘burkini’ is banned and men continue to run rule over women. We live in a world where innocent people die becuase they are caught up between extremist and blood thirsty, money lead, first world nations.

We live in a world where amicable agreements between nations is still a pipedream. A world where ‘immigration’, ‘feminism’ and ‘equality’ are still dirty words to many. A world where ‘black lives matter’ needs to be campaigned for and not just a God damn given. We live in a world where 1% of the entire world population owns as much, or more, than the other 99% and yet there is still poverty across all nations.

We live in a world where Donald Trump is taken seriously by a large proporiton of one of the worlds biggest countries and Brexit is applauded by another, for ‘getting rid of those foreigners’.

We live in a world where I could be imprisoned or even killed for typing a post that questions somebody else and free speech is only a given if the masses agree with you.

Now, as much as ever, this verse rings truth ‘Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost….’ We must not lose sense of who we are as ‘humans’, as men, women and children.

“the Kingdom of God is within man” — not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power — the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaq62VCcnew

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.