What are the Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches?
The Cisco Catalyst 3850 Series Switches are the next generation of enterprise-class, stackable, access layer switches.
- Provide convergence between wired and wireless over a single platform.
- Provide high availability with new and improved 480-Gbps stacking and Cisco StackPower.
- Wired and wireless security and application visibility are natively built into the switch.
- Support full IEEE 802.3at Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+), Universal Power Over Ethernet (UPOE), modular and field-replaceable network modules, redundant fans, and power supplies.
- The Cisco Catalyst 3850 enhances productivity by enabling applications such as IP telephony, wireless, and video for a true borderless network experience.
In addition, the Cisco Catalyst 3850 SFP based models support 12 or 24 SFP receptacles, and SFP+ based models support 12, 24, or 48 receptacles. These SFP/SFP+ receptacles are compatible with a variety of Gigabit Ethernet pluggable transceiver modules for both copper and fiber downlink support. These models add even more flexibility to the interface choices that users can make in a single Cisco Catalyst 3850 switch or in a stack of Cisco Catalyst 3850 switches.
How to distinguish specifications from SKU of Cisco Catalyst 3850 Switches?
- Series Number: 3850
- Number of Ports: 12, 24, or 48
- Downlink Ports: T, data-only port; P, port with PoE power supply support(Full 15.4w power on 24 ports); PF/F/PW, port with PoE power supply support(Full 15.4w power on 48 ports); U, port with UPOE power supply support; S, SFP module slot; X, mGig port or SFP/SFP+ module slot
- Cisco IOS: L, Lan Base; S, IP Base; E, IP Services
What are the supported uplink modules in the Cisco Catalyst 3850?
The Cisco Catalyst 3850 supports the following uplink modules:
● 4 x 1GE network module
● 2 x 1/10GE network module
● 4 x 1/10GE network module (can be used for the 48-port RJ-45 models and for the 12-port (or higher) 10‑gigabit-capable models)
● 8 x 10GE network module (can be used on the 24-port and 48-port multigigabit switch and also on the 24‑port 10G SFP+ switch)
● 2 x 40GE network module (can be used on the 24-port and 48-port multigigabit switch and also on the 24‑port 10G SFP+ switch)
What are the different types of licenses in the Cisco Catalyst 3850?
There are two main types of Cisco Catalyst 3850 license: permanent RTU license and evaluation RTU license. These are available for both image-based licensing (IP Base or IP Services) and AP count licensing.
A permanent RTU license is a paid license, with no expiration date. The universal Cisco IOS XE Software-based images have all three license levels: LAN Base, IP Base, and IP Services. RTU CLI commands enable the switch license to be moved between different license levels.
An evaluation RTU license allows the customers to evaluate image-based and/or AP count license for 90 days at no cost.
How is stacking done in the Cisco Catalyst 3850?
A. The Cisco Catalyst 3850 introduces a revolutionary stacking technology called Cisco StackWise-480. It offers a stacking bandwidth of 480 Gbps nonblocking, and it supports Cisco IOS Software Stateful Switchover (SSO) technology. Both the stacking cables and connectors have been revamped in the Cisco Catalyst 3850 for easy installation and removal.