A prayer for Finals Week
A few thoughts from President Lovell
Can you believe our academic year is almost over? I know your preparations for final papers and exams are well under way, and I want to offer my best wishes to you as you successfully conclude this semester. Finals week is difficult, but we have opportunities for you to relieve some stress:
- At 10 p.m. Monday, the Division of Student Affairs and Raynor Memorial Libraries will serve study break refreshments on the Bridge.
- The President’s Running Group will have its last two spring semester runs on Tuesday at 11:45 a.m. and Friday at 8 a.m. Join us at the Father Marquette statue.
- On Tuesday between 9 p.m. and midnight, refuel on the Bridge with me. I’ll have coffee and doughnut holes ready when you need a study break.
- Recharge spiritually when you can, too. On Tuesday night, you’re welcome to join me when I take the short walk from the libraries to St. Joan of Arc Chapel for 10 p.m. Mass. The Office of Mission and Ministry has many more worship opportunities.
- Scale back on social media so you can better focus on your studies. Online interactions — especially ones that show a lack of respect for others — can create more distractions than insights, and you’ll miss little by avoiding them for a few days.
I want to thank all of you for making my first year at this great university so memorable. I continue to be proud, every day, to be your president. You are always in my prayers, especially this week. I believe that the prayer below from our online resource for prayer and spirituality, found at marquette.edu/faith, is especially appropriate as we prepare for the week.
Finally, to our seniors and graduate students who will be graduating this month, I want to thank you for choosing Marquette. No matter where your life may take you in the future, please know that you will always have a home on our campus and will continue to be part of the Marquette family. I look forward to personally congratulating each of you on your accomplishments in two weeks at Commencement.
Prayer for students during finals
God of Wisdom,
I thank you for the knowledge gained
and the learning experiences of the semester.
I come to you and ask you to illuminate my mind and heart.
Let your Holy Spirit be with me as I prepare for exams,
guiding my studies and giving me insight
so that I can perform to the best of my ability.
Grant me the strength to handle the pressure of these days,
the confidence to feel secure in my knowledge
and the ability to keep a proper perspective through it all.
Help me to keep in mind what is truly important,
even as I focus my time and energy on these exams.
Finally, may I sense your peace
in knowing that I applied myself to the challenges of this day.
I ask this through Christ our Lord.
St. Thomas Aquinas, patron of students, pray for us.
St. Joseph of Cupertino, patron of test takers, pray for us.
Dr. Michael R. Lovell