Using public data from the ECB and EBA Clearing, we analyze the situation with the adaptation of SEPA Instant payment system by banks and financial institutions (identified by their BIC or BIC bank code) in the SEPA area. The following article covers the following topics in detail:
- In the 4th quarter of 2020, the ECB recorded a growing share of 7.8% of SCT Inst transfers out of all SCT transfers.
- At the beginning of the year, EBA Clearing recorded a slightly declining SCT Inst transaction volume and SCT Inst amount volume. It is to be expected that this is due to lockdown or seasonal effects. More can be said about this in the following months.
- The number of TIPS and RT1 participants (measured in BIC bank codes) is growing slowly but steadily.
- ECB is investigating a digital version of the Euro by using TIPS processing.
Read our detailed analysis on the CPG blog.
Outlook & Background
In subsequent analyzes, we will continue to monitor the continuous changes and further deepen the evaluation of the spread of SEPA Instant Payment in the SEPA area.
This article is part of a series on SEPA Instant Payments and builds on these articles:
- SEPA Instant Payments: News and insights from December 2020
- Instant Payment: News and insights from October 2020
- SCT Instant Payment: participation analysis within SEPA area (August 2020)
- SEPA Instant Credit Transfer Register of Participants: a data analysis (June 2020)
If you have any questions, suggestions or are interested in the topic of payment transactions, instant payment and software solutions, please contact us:
+49 (0) 89 6809700,