As we all know SEO is divided in On-page and Off-page, two parts. Most people just focus on Off-page activity and forget to focus on on-page. Before starting with Off Page activity, we must work on on-page optimization. Search Engine giant Google has said time and again that, first step towards SEO should be to make your website SEO friendly and address issues on your website in order to rank higher. With arrival of 2017 and all the previous updates in 2016 we must understand the significance of On-page optimization and address the below given 6 most basic but important seo on-page optimization checklist to rank better in 2017 :
1 . Meta Page Title- Page title attributes shows in the search result of your website. The title should be unique for every page. Focus on maximum two primary keywords and try to maintain 60 characters limit in titles or atleast make sure you cover your two primary keywords within first 60 characters.
PS : If you use CMS like wordpress , joomla etc and use any SEO plugins, extensions you need to fill the page title in there.
2. Meta Description — Meta Description is a short description of your page/post which tells/describes the topic/contents of you page to both search engines and users. I would recommend to focus on 2 Major Keywords within the 160 characters limit here also.
PS : If you use CMS like wordpress , joomla etc and use any SEO plugins, extensions you need to fill the page description in there.
3. Keywords– Unique keywords that are part of the page/post body must be used on your website to rank well. Make sure these words are included in the actual page content. Although there is no such limit but try to use maximum of 5 words, no spaces and separated by commas. Relevant and actual words used in the content are recommended to be used as keywords but also try to think of queries people would use in search engines to find the content you have written or similar content.
PS : If you use CMS like wordpress , joomla etc and use any SEO plugins, extensions you need to fill the keywords in there.
4. Headings — Using headings not just make your content organised but also helps Search engines and users read and understand your content better. H1 tag is largest HTML heading tag followed by H2 and so on which goes up to H6 tags.
Using primary keywords in H1 and H2 tags (if possible) proves helpful in ranking for those keywords. Although there is no proof for this, but it doesn’t hurts to try. Make sure you don’t overuse Headings.
5. ALT Text for images — ALT text provides alternative text for an image.It helps search engines understand what an image is about. It is recommended to use at least one image with an alt tag that contains your focus/primary keyword.
6. Link title text — Always describe the link’s you use in main content. A link title text must be given be for all text links used in the content. Using primary keyword(s) as anchored text / link title text can prove helpful but information about the destination url must be given such that it provides information about where the link will send the user.
Hope you all are now aware about these basic but vital on-page SEO factors to practise in 2017 for better ranking your website. Like, Share and comment on this post to inspire me to bring similar posts on my blog.