Sign in

Design Sprints- The 4 days version, over 4 weeks.

Sprint Week #1: Mapping and Sketching

The first step of the design sprint started with a quick research on the existing application where an unexpected problem was faced, the application was not available in Mauritius. However, using reviews and the preview of the app on the app store, I got an overall idea of it.

I started quickly with the sprint goals, assumptions, questions and HMW questions.

Sprint goals, Assumptions, Questions, HMW questions done on the Miro website.

It did not take long to reach the target area where the focus would be put during the sprint.

Once the focus area was found and I finished the first part of the week #1’s sprint, I tackled down the sketching. While only two crazy 8s were required for the individual part and I decided to make 3 of them instead.

Crazy 8s x3

And this concluded the first week of the design sprint.

Sprint Week #2: Decide & Storyboard

For the second week of the design the first part consisted of deciding which features would be included in the final prototype. The first step was to decide the best solutions that were in the crazy 8s sketches.

Once the best features were chosen, it was time to start to with the storyboard. The first step was to break down the user test flow into 6 steps using sticky notes. Using the Miro website, I quickly broke down the 6 steps that the users would be following.

Breaking down the user test flow into 6 steps.

Once the user flow was decided, my favourite part started, drawing the storyboard. 6 screens were drawn, following the 6 steps of the user flow.

6 steps of the user flow converted into a storyboard

After the storyboard was created, I was excited to start the prototyping of the feature.

Sprint Week #3: Prototype

Prototyping was finally here and I was more than happy about it. As I already had an idea of the different icons that would be needed, I started by creating these on Adobe Illustrator.

All illustrations were created from scratch and used for the prototype

Once I had all the illustrations, I started creating the prototype on Adobe XD. I started by recreating the home screen of My Local Services, changing the “Waste” feature to “Waste and Recycling”. I also created a logo for this feature which included the recycling logo along with a part of the existing logo of My Local Services. I kept the colour scheme of the app which consists of red, white and grey so as to be in unison with the rest of the app.

As this feature is targeted for families with children I introduced illustrations that would make the app look less formal and a bit more fun. A card layout has been used for the different sections of feature and has been implemented throughout the app.

I ensured that there was a logical flow with the different actions that were implemented and the different screens. As I finished the prototype I was satisfied of the outcome and couldn’t wait to see what results would come out of the users tests interviews.

Screenshot of the final prototype

Sprint Week #4: User Test Interview & Debrief

As the last week of the sprint approached, I readied myself and tested the prototype to ensure that all links were working and that I hadn’t miss any back buttons linkage. I ensured that everything worked well before starting my user test interviews.

Act 1: The Welcome

Due to the Covid-19 lockdown situation, all awkwardness with strangers was avoided and I was lucky enough to have family members around me to interview who fitted in my target market. They were all more than happy to help.

Act 2: Context Questions

Learning more about whether they were into recycling, how often they recycled and what type of recycling they made.

Act 3: Introducing the App

Introduction of the application, what it’s about, the feature that was prototyped and disclaimers. Clearly telling them this is only a prototype and that not everything works. Finally emphasised on the fact that they should think out loud as they are navigating and discovery the feature.

Act 4: Conduct, Task and Nudges

Stay back, let the interviewee navigating, explore, discover and get confused about the application while still getting them to voice out their thoughts as they are doing so. This was quite easy as the interviewees easily navigated through the app and kept commenting as they went along. Noting down where they struggled and their different comments.

Act 5: Quick Debrief

All the interviewees agreed that they would use the application and most of them found that the app was well mapped and nothing was too confusing in it.

-

Overall this 4 days design sprint which was stretched over 4 weeks was quite an experience. It was something that was interesting to work on both individually and in a group, seeing the difference between doing everything yourself and actually sharing the tasks.

It was indeed a difficult and challenging task to do on my own but it pushed me to go further and it is definitely something that a designer should try.