Delicious Vegan Cinnamon Rolls with Aquafaba
This is one of my all time favourite sweets! Now that I discovered aquafaba, it is just perfect. In my experience, yeast is of great help when making vegan recipes, however dough can be less fluffy and gets dry quicker. But not anymore 😊 Aquafaba makes it soft and keeps it fresh longer.
Here is a secret to my success — a recipe!
For the dough
500g plain flour
350 ml plant-based milk (warmed)
4 tablespoons of vegan butter (melted)
6 tablespoons of aquafaba
1 sachet of instant dry yeast (7g)
70 g icing sugar
½ teaspoon salt
For the filling
3 tablespoons of vegan butter (melted)
1. For the dough, mix all “powdery” ingredients (flour, sugar, yeast, salt) together in the bowl of a freestanding mixer fitted with a dough hook.
2. Add the melted butter, aquafaba and warm milk and begin mixing on a slow speed. When the dough starts to come together, mix for a further 5–8 minutes on a medium speed until the dough is soft, smooth and stretchy.
3. Leave to rise until at least doubled in size — about one hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C just before you start with rolling out the dough.
5. When the dough has risen, knock the air out of it and roll out onto a floured surface into a rectangular shape (cca 65 cm x 40 cm).
6. Brush the surface with melted vegan butter.
7. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon
8. Beginning at one long side, roll up dough tightly like a jelly-roll; then gently pinch the seam down to seal. Trim the ends for even slices, and cut dough into 2 cm slices.
9. Arrange the rolls in a lightly greased baking dish.
10. Place the tray on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.